electric boilers are cheaper than heatpumps to run

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

They have an interlocking joint with foam strip so the long edges are not a problem.

Therefore it fails the air test, and badly.

But you are right then that somebody,  or many parties, must be  turning a blind eye..or worse.

I was getting a building pressure washed yesterday. I supervised a lot of the construction (14 years ago) When it got a decent air test result. Yet there was water coming in at window heads. Not a lot but some. I have no  idea whether this is a good comparison, as perhaps the jet broke a seal.

That applies to all construction, and all manufacture.  Who is responsible I wonder, for what you are seeing.

I should say for clarity, we used Polish then Hungarian cladders. Because of quality, not cost. They are no longer available.

There are some good UK ones too. 

The panels ive seen (and used), you have to apply the sealing strip. Ive never seen them prefitted.

Its common knowledge you can get an air test for a house to say any number you like. No actual testing takes place.  I guess the same occurs?

As ive said before, once you have a licence to sign stuff off, you can do whatever you like, limited only by your personal ethics. No ones checking, and no one is enforcing. Its a complete free for all. Like the wild west! 

The buildings in question were brand new. Just finished. Had we taken them, we would have been the first tennants.

Would have been nice to have a warmish warehouse. Sadly, it wasnt to be, and an unheated one was selected. Mainly because the cost difference was vast.

Edited by Roger440

7 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

No actual testing takes place.  I guess the same occurs?

No. an actual test must be done. However I have doubts about the ethics of some testers...and contractors.

Alternatively you can elect for no test but must apply a very onerous number (15) to the SBEM.

It is a rather different setup though if the building is 50m x 20m x 10m, for example.  @ProDaves car fan and cardboard wouldn't do it.

12 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

you have to apply the sealing strip. Ive never seen them prefitted.

I always had foam strips ready fitted. I'm shocked to now see on Kingspan site that this is optional. Other suppliers also had them as standard. perhaps this is a race to the bottom.

• Optional factory-applied side lap seals

just a  thought. Some industrial units are built to unheated standards then converted (sometimes without planning) to 'ancillary office' use.  Or occupiers install space heaters.

23 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

No. an actual test must be done. However I have doubts about the ethics of some testers...and contractors.

Alternatively you can elect for no test but must apply a very onerous number (15) to the SBEM.

It is a rather different setup though if the building is 50m x 20m x 10m, for example.  @ProDaves car fan and cardboard wouldn't do it.

I always had foam strips ready fitted. I'm shocked to now see on Kingspan site that this is optional. Other suppliers also had them as standard. perhaps this is a race to the bottom.

• Optional factory-applied side lap seals

just a  thought. Some industrial units are built to unheated standards then converted (sometimes without planning) to 'ancillary office' use.  Or occupiers install space heaters.

I know an actual test is supposed to be done. 

But out in the realworld. A friend of mine had direct experience of that. They guy had no intention of doing an air test, just had a look round and asked what number he wanted on the test sheet. He was, literally, forced, to conduct the actual test.

Same with electrical stuff. Need a certificate. No problem, just pay up. Just need to ask the right people.

Im guessing you could earn a ton of money just sitting at home writing certificates for jobs other people are doing. Well not guessing really, because thats exactly what goes on. The chances of any comeback are near enough zero.

Bizzare on the sealing strips. Never seen that. All the ones ive seen, and used, required a butyl strip applying prior to assembly. Accepted thats no doubt a tiny fraction of those you have dealt with.

I shall bear that in mind if/when i do something with my barn roof.

If it was built to unheated standards, then surely they would never have used (expensive) composite panels?

28 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Bizzare on the sealing strips. Never seen that.

Likewise, and i'm so grateful you got me to look into that.

The vast majority of my projects were using a highly superior system. either they ensured the strips were added by kingspan, and others, or the spec has diminished and it is now optional,

31 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

had a look round and asked what number he wanted

Well, that is fraud isn't it? I did detect t that from one tester.  Casually asking what number i was hoping for.

33 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

If it was built to unheated standards, then surely they would never have used (expensive) composite panels?

Architects like pretty. Other peoples money.

19 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Likewise, and i'm so grateful you got me to look into that.

The vast majority of my projects were using a highly superior system. either they ensured the strips were added by kingspan, and others, or the spec has diminished and it is now optional,

Well, that is fraud isn't it? I did detect t that from one tester.  Casually asking what number i was hoping for.

Architects like pretty. Other peoples money.

Yes, it is fraud. But its an easy one to do with minimal risks or consequences. Even if you get caught.

Human nature sadly.

Which system were you using? 

19 hours ago, saveasteading said:

presumably they would lose their accreditation.

More seriously they, and anyone else who has not been supervising properly, could be sued for the reduction in value in the property.

In theory yes. In reality, almost zero possibility.

My understanding is that you cannot take action against, for example a BCO signing something off that was non compliant, even knowingly. They are protected by law.

If i can, i can get sueing!

1 hour ago, Roger440 said:

reality, almost zero possibility.

There are instances of consultants being sued for errors by the contractor or one of the other consultants when measurable and exreme damsge was caused.

Seldom though.