Patio roof

JohnBishop

3 minutes ago, markc said:

Pulling a post into square before fixings will help it to stay put, but without bracing a “table” structure will sway and pulling one leg into plumb generally results is it pulling another leg half way so the stresses balance.

how is this bracing achieved in such circumstances? I reckon I need an anchor of some sort.

5 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

how is this bracing achieved in such circumstances? I reckon I need an anchor of some sort.

Hi, do you have any pics of the structure, loads of ways of adding bracing to prevent racking of a table. If one edge of the roof is fixed to a wall you can add diagonal braces in the roof - timber, metal or tensioned wires to hold the other edge rigid at the top. Side braces or if you are wanting to keep the structure clutter free then you are looking at holding it be the joints between posts and top members. Loads of options and no real right or wrong.

On 14/10/2024 at 15:42, markc said:

Hi, do you have any pics of the structure, loads of ways of adding bracing to prevent racking of a table. If one edge of the roof is fixed to a wall you can add diagonal braces in the roof - timber, metal or tensioned wires to hold the other edge rigid at the top. Side braces or if you are wanting to keep the structure clutter free then you are looking at holding it be the joints between posts and top members. Loads of options and no real right or wrong.

I already screwed everything together. I could not wait before the beautiful weather today :)
I send some pictures later today. On the bases I used M10 everywhere else M12

• Like 1

Look at the photos throughout this thread. "Bracing" is generally achieved by the little diagonals at the top. Either let in to the horizontal / vertical members with a joint detail (mortice & tenon, through housing etc) and / or screwed / bolted through. I'd use dog tooth washers btw if "clamping" braces on. 

On 29/12/2023 at 18:43, gaz_moose said:

twinwall polycarbonate sheeting. but i think its just going to be a massive sail. make sure you screw the roof down solid.

I do not like twin wall  as  all those little holes that run top to bottom get mould growing in them abd is impossible to clean out 

plus you have the perfext bug holes to nest in 

they say to use special tape around the edges  but it still does not stop it growing mould inside the box sections and can lead to condesnation in the panels