Adding an external lock to window/door (Internorm) - ideally no drill

canalsiderenovation

Righty, here's a conundrum.

We have a bedroom/ensuite in our house which we are thinking of doing as an Airbnb. The bedroom door has a key lock on it which means access to the rest of the house can be prevented. It also has a window/door onto the patio. In essence this can be a separate entrance so is ideal for guests. The issue we have is that when we had it fitted (Internorm) they didn't do anything that could be locked.

From inside the bedroom the right side as you look at the photo can be operated like a tilt and turn window so you can either use it as a window or door and the left side has a catch to open that side and both open inwards.

20231226_141236.thumb.jpg.53bffeb698a7b243958de8273ac52936.jpg

20231226_141849.thumb.jpg.0fd5fca843c1fa09e0461d88656035d5.jpg

From outside there is a little catch to open and close the door so if you just left the bedroom you can shut the door and then go back in but there is no way of locking it. Obviously if we had guests they would want to secure the room (even though we would likely only do Airbnb when we were around). Is there any way of retrofitting something, ideally without drilling into the frame?

20231226_1412492.thumb.jpg.b21f0a217dd964caf00055cb7295e3f3.jpg

20231226_1413002.thumb.jpg.d6cd36dc7cc38eca8c21e172cc8f172b.jpg

5 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Ring them and ask why.

And then ask them to suggest how they might solve your problem 

It was a couple of years ago and they didn't offer any external lock on this configuration. I'll contact John Knight Glass again and see if they can retrofit anything. Was hoping for an alternative but I've been scouring the net with little success.

• Like 1

This is essentially a balcony window, it has standard window hardware and not a multipoint locking system. I'm rather surprised they said they didn't have anything as it's basically a French door, you'll have a lever to open the secondary window. A French door is the same thing, just slightly bigger frames on the sashes.

It can be changed, it's a bit of a ballache but it can be done but it does mean you need new sashes and someone with a bit of knowledge on how to do it. I can gaurantee they'll say it can't be done but it can.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2023 at 17:41, craig said:

This is essentially a balcony window, it has standard window hardware and not a multipoint locking system. I'm rather surprised they said they didn't have anything as it's basically a French door, you'll have a lever to open the secondary window. A French door is the same thing, just slightly bigger frames on the sashes.

It can be changed, it's a bit of a ballache but it can be done but it does mean you need new sashes and someone with a bit of knowledge on how to do it. I can gaurantee they'll say it can't be done but it can.

John Knight glass rung me today and said they couldn't do anything, infact they said they would have to take the whole thing out and replace it!

I'm going to try Internorm directly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Have you considered a smart lock? I don’t know if it would work for sure but may be worth looking into, indoor lock with some kind of control panel/keypad outside, change the code for each guest?

I did look at this as an option but couldn't find anything suitable. 

We have quite a few inward opening tilt turns and it would be useful to have an external handle / lock, but I think the only option is replace whole unit.  You can't just chisel out a triple glazed ali sash.

• Like 1

No and no are the short two answers to the questions posed. Internorm won't say any different to JK, the whole unit will be compromised if you start trying to make changes to it, so they'll never entertain it. 

You could try any number if things but you're wasting your time, they'll never work well or properly. 

• Like 1

Some success, Internorm directly have responded (I have their Techinal Managers details after he came and sorted some issues with a fingerprint sensor on our front door) and they say it can likely be done, that said they are just waiting for JK to provide the specific order details of the original item to double and then we can get a quote from Internorm (will involve a visit from their Service Department).

• Like 3

I know it can be done and it will not compromise the existing frame, we’ve done this ourselves a few times (with Internorm and Gaulhofer). 

I know you’ll get the answers you’re looking for but the cost to do so may be the stumbling block.