Help! I need to Replace my GSHP

Nially

2 hours ago, Roger440 said:

You are correct that running water, even if loud doesnt irritate. Ive not really tried to understand why that is, but no amount of thinking traffic noise or a heat pump is calming will work. Because its not!

ASHP's make noise. Thats unavoidable because of what they are. They are demonstrably not "quiet". They make some noise. However, some people are not bothered by it, some are.

If i have to have one, it will be a long way from the house with shielding. It wont affect anyone else though, as there isnt anyone else.

I like natural noises.  I love having the bedroom windows open in the summer so I can hear the trickle of the water in the burn, the owls hooting and other wildlife etc.  But the very low level hum of the central heating water circulating pump really irritates me as does traffic noise.

Yes ASHP's make noise.  But the noise is outside your house.  Most of the time you need the ASHP to work is in the winter when it is cold, and your windows are shut.  But the same people that complain about an ASHP being noisy are usually happy to have an oil boiler roaring away INSIDE your house where you can hear it.  Or even a gas boiler.  I have a relatives house where the gas boiler is close to the living room and all evening you can hear the thing whining away, varying in speed as it modulated it's output.  Give me an outside ASHP inaudible from inside the house any day.

At one point early in the build I had considered a GSHP.  That was until I installed one for a customer.  Why would I want a heat pump sized compressor INSIDE my house where I can hear it?  much better outside.  Same goes for a split ASHP, monoblock with all the noisy bits outside is much better.

On 16/12/2023 at 17:27, Iceverge said:

I've long been suspect of GSHPs. 

On 16/12/2023 at 17:27, Iceverge said:

Heat pumps only make sense if you can keep the initial purchase cost sensible, GSHPs almost never are.

Having fitted a gshp partly because I previously thought it a good idea and partly because I wanted to...I would agree.

Quality air to water setups are achieving COP 4.5+ in a UK Climate. It's a no brainer.

Cheap option: take the heat pump gubbins out of your all-in-one then recycle the brine loop pipe entry to the property to connect to an air to water monobloc (6kW - assume you can't go to big on hot water production unless you KNOW that the chilli in the cylinder is good)

Plenty of space inside the all in one to house the three port diverter and the air to water controls.

Better option: swap all in one for a plain cylinder of respectable coil size and volume; fit air to water unit.

It wants to go by the back door. Learn to love it.

• Like 1