Best ways to insulate floor, walls, ceiling of a 20' Shipping container…

Chris HB

Shipping Container Insulation Options
There are numerous videos online about this, all different, mostly US-based (tiny houses being a thing over there I guess), and some well let's just say, their methods might be open to question!? 🫣

I’m potentially looking/needing to get a 20' shipping container as part of my Small Mission Hall project in the Outer Hebrides. I’ll need it at some point to cover me as a temporary live/office workspace, plus for temporary storage of materials. I could then possibly also use it as a design/studio workspace. Have looked into second-hand site office containers, but their cost is prohibitive, and so many fake sellers to try and avoid!

So what would be the best type of insulation for the floor ( I’m assuming it's best to do some form of floating floor here?), the walls and the roof? Is one type of insulation material good for all three, or am I better looking at horses for courses approach of different options for each location?

As the container is the structure in reality, can insulation be stuck to the container insides (a lot of talk about using spray foam insulation?), or would I be better looking at some form of internal timber framing (this might be another question! 🤣) and allow an air gap behind to minimise the risk condensation?

I think the general consensus on here is that making your own stick built outbuilding is easier and cheaper than converting a shipping container.

Insulation can go on either side and sprayed on polyurethane foam is probably the easiest method to use (as someone else will be doing it).

Either way you will need think how you are going to attach boarding/cladding to the container, so almost certainly some sort of timber framework will be needed.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 2

For a building that is lightly to be occupied constantly I would be cautious if containers. I had a brief look a out 8 years ago. 

Some of the paints are carcinogenic and the insect repellent used for the flooring is pretty toxic too. 

Have you considered an old refrigerated body from a truck. Already insulated and used for food so quite safe. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

For a building that is lightly to be occupied constantly I would be cautious if containers. I had a brief look a out 8 years ago. 

Some of the paints are carcinogenic and the insect repellent used for the flooring is pretty toxic too. 

Have you considered an old refrigerated body from a truck. Already insulated and used for food so quite safe. 

I did briefly look at ex-refrigerated containers which I guess are similar?

6 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I think the general consensus on here is that making your own stick built outbuilding is easier and cheaper than converting a shipping container.

Insulation can go on either side and sprayed on polyurethane foam is probably the easiest method to use (as someone else will be doing it).

Either way you will need think how you are going to attach boarding/cladding to the container, so almost certainly some sort of timber framework will be needed.

This seems a very basic level of insulation that could be easily added… https://tpsolutions.eu/product/insulated-shipping-container-liners/

then maybe a light framing inside with additional infill insulation and plywood/OSB lining on top?

19 hours ago, Chris HB said:

internal timber framing (this might be another question! 🤣) and allow an air gap behind to minimise the risk condensation?

Done this. But it was for sports equipment so a much lower standard.

Decorating the outside with t & g keeps the sun off. Pir on the roof then some covering, eg metal cladding. I think pir on the outside face before boarding is easy and safe, then stud and board inside.

having done all that you might as well have built a nicer, better box from timber stud.

We didn't only because the boxes had to be temporary/ removable.

I wouldn't leave any cavity inside. 

Also beware the doors. Shipping containers are usually sold off at the stage of the doors failing.

The gimmicky projects that boast of using them as sustainable  are usually buying once one  used containers for £10k, not £1k.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Done this. But it was for sports equipment so a much lower standard.

Decorating the outside with t & g keeps the sun off. Pir on the roof then some covering, eg metal cladding. I think pir on the outside face before boarding is easy and safe, then stud and board inside.

having done all that you might as well have built a nicer, better box from timber stud.

We didn't only because the boxes had to be temporary/ removable.

I wouldn't leave any cavity inside. 

Also beware the doors. Shipping containers are usually sold off at the stage of the doors failing.

The gimmicky projects that boast of using them as sustainable  are usually buying once one  used containers for £10k, not £1k.

I take yours and @SteamyTea point about being better off building something timber framed from scratch. 

That’s not really any option as it would need planning and in the Outer Hebrides, winds are very strong, a friends 3ton timber stable block got blown away, and even shipping containers have been known to move!

They seemed to be commonly used for storage, but another friend has one as an office space and with what he believed was quite basic insulation, it was surprisingly warm! Might have been an old site office mind you?

3 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

Might have been an old site office mind you?

Having spent a lot of my life in these, they warm up quickly, but cool down quickly too.

So a container it is. A few bashes or scrapes won't matter but might make them us for shipping.

So make sure The doors move freely.

It's easy to fix them down to a concrete slab.

So as above.   Insulate the floor with PIR and a board topping.

Ceiling insulated outside with PIR and either board and a membrane, or metal cladding

Walls stud and t&g, with pir behind. Inside to taste.

Insulating the doors? I've no idea!

• Like 1

Would not recommend for office space. Metal box. No phone or WiFi.

Get a container for storage, and a second hand touring caravan for office. We sold ours on two years later and only a £400 loss. Having a fridge and cooking area to yourself is invaluable on a muddy, cold wet site in he middle of winter. Ours had an awning so good for the summer and drying wet gear.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Conor said:

Would not recommend for office space. Metal box. No phone or WiFi.

Get a container for storage, and a second hand touring caravan for office. We sold ours on two years later and only a £400 loss. Having a fridge and cooking area to yourself is invaluable on a muddy, cold wet site in he middle of winter. Ours had an awning so good for the summer and drying wet gear.

+1, and you can use the container next to the caravan to shield it from the worst wind direction, jack up the caravan on blocks so it does not rock and chain it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Having spent a lot of my life in these, they warm up quickly, but cool down quickly too.

So a container it is. A few bashes or scrapes won't matter but might make them us for shipping.

So make sure The doors move freely.

It's easy to fix them down to a concrete slab.

So as above.   Insulate the floor with PIR and a board topping.

Ceiling insulated outside with PIR and either board and a membrane, or metal cladding

Walls stud and t&g, with pir behind. Inside to taste.

Insulating the doors? I've no idea!

So PIR against the steel sides and studwork in front of it to create an air gap and then finish fixed to the frame?

I was thinking of fitting some second hand double glazed patio/french doors across the end of the container just inside the external doors to help solve door insulation, as mostly the outside doors would be open to get the view/daylight light in anyway in a standard container

Edited by Chris HB

56 minutes ago, joe90 said:

+1, and you can use the container next to the caravan to shield it from the worst wind direction, jack up the caravan on blocks so it does not rock and chain it down.

I had thought about your and @Conor suggestion about a caravan, I have seen a static used like this and that had some serious strapping on it to try and keep it in place!

24 minutes ago, Conor said:

Storm straps.

PXL_20201122_161517311.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.d7d8b411d29f33528c09d286fb9a2986.jpg

hmmmm… not sure that would last too long around here I’m afraid!

There’s a good reason they built my walls at around 600mm thick 110 years ago and that it’s still standing!

The Butt of Lewis, located on the northern tip of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, is renowned for its wild and windswept landscapes. This remote location has witnessed some of the strongest winds ever recorded in the United Kingdom. In 1962, the Butt of Lewis played a significant role in setting a world record for wind speed.

The World Record Wind Gust: A Historic Event

On January 1, 1962, an extreme weather event struck the Butt of Lewis, bringing with it an unprecedented display of nature’s power. A wind gust with a remarkable speed of 133.6 miles per hour (215.9 kilometers per hour) was recorded at the weather station located on the tip of the headland. This extraordinary wind speed established a world record at the time and remains one of the highest wind gusts ever recorded in the United Kingdom.

Caravan survived 90mph+ in 2021. That same night scaffold boards were lifted and went through the roof. Our entire "wing" with our master bedroom was noticeably swaying in the wind - 150mm reinforced concrete walls (now fully appreciate how flexible RC is!)

3 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Screenshot_2023-12-12-08-59-20-057_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.94fece2dde4a702bf61b1f8b313087d4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-11-18-32-04-862_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.a4c4a8f8dc1ec7e25d4716438f0a89e2.jpg

That's the one. 

Frame a uPVC window/door 1m inside the roller door when you want to use it as an office and you'll have a lockable sheltered porch. 

Thanks @Iceverge that looks interesting. So I would just need to find someone willing/able to get in from Bolton to the Isle of Lewis then…