Lifting first floorboard without damaging others

Sparrowhawk

I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos but reality is proving different to what they show so...

I want to lift an 8ft floorboard next to the wall, that hasn't been lifted since the house was built 100yrs ago and is held down with those old rectangular nails. I've removed the skirting boards and there's 0.5-1cm between board and wall. On the other side the floorboard is close to the next in the middle, and at the ends I can just fit a pry bar down. There's no tongue and groove.

I tried to get leverage on the side against the wall and couldn't. So I shoved the pry bar in between the floor boards, levered against the next floor board, and damaged the edge of that board. Obvious in hindsight.

Is there a way to get this board out without damaging the next one? If not, a better way to get it out full stop?

Is the joint between boards 1 and 2 at all open? Could you run a circ saw down to cut the tongue? Even if not, if you punch the nails down into the joist with a parallel-sided punch you should be able to wrangle it enough with the existing (lack of) 'weasel room'. Even if you cannot get the nails right through the bottom of the board, 75% of the way should loosen everything off enough. I once did a floor of approx 32m2 like this. We allowed for 20% wastage, and ended up only replacing about 4 linear metres of board.

• Like 1

If you have a thin metal strip, you can lay that on top of the second board to stop it getting damaged. 

Just about anything will do, I've used a Flat part of a set square before! 

With those nails, there will inevitably be damage, you could try punching them down further into the joist before removing the board. 

You need a slide hammer nail puller.  e.g. https://www.kawstore.co.uk/products/kawtool/hand-tools/builders-tools/nail-pullers/priory-150-nail-puller-integral-slide-hammer

prio-150.jpg

You use the inbuilt slide hammer to drive the jaws down into the floorboard either side of the nail then push it sideways that tightens the jaws on the nail and pulls it out with a lot less damage than just pulling the board up with the nails still in place.

Mine was my dads and is probably as old as me, but looks identical to that one linked above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Is the joint between boards 1 and 2 at all open? Could you run a circ saw down to cut the tongue? Even if not, if you punch the nails down into the joist with a parallel-sided punch you should be able to wrangle it enough with the existing (lack of) 'weasel room'. Even if you cannot get the nails right through the bottom of the board, 75% of the way should loosen everything off enough. I once did a floor of approx 32m2 like this. We allowed for 20% wastage, and ended up only replacing about 4 linear metres of board.

Good advise 

That’s the only way you will do it with The minimum of damage 

11 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Thanks, the joint's open a few mm in places; and there's no tongue to cause issues. Punching sounds a good approach.

This kind of punch? https://www.screwfix.com/p/parallel-pin-punch-set-5-pieces/7549v