Making it easy to remove wallpaper

MortarThePoint

We have young children and it would be fun to have wallpaper that they'll grow out of. I've never stripped wallpaper before. Is there a way at install to make it easier to remove later? It will be going onto Multifinish. I guess some adhesives are a better choice than others and people probably normally spend there time worrying about making it last longer. It would be good if it looked nice right up to the fateful day. Should I look out for anything in the paper itself too?

Ideally, I'd like to leave a good paintable surface when the wallpaper is removed.

Edited by MortarThePoint

The secret to removing wallpaper is to wet it, either with a wet sponge or a steamer.

The things that will make that difficult are painted wallpaper, or waterproof vinyl.

Anyone who lived through the 80's will remember the horror of painted woodchip.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Dave,

Not much you can do in applying it to save the paint/finish. It’s mainly about removing it.

We not long in removing a huge amount of painted wood chip wallpaper in a 1960’s house (160sqm floor area, every wall had 2 layers of it). We took it off with a chemical spray & a hole cutting tool, walls underneath had minor damage so was a simple fill & sand job after.

• Like 1

As mentioned get it wet. A steamer can normally be hired. They make it a quite easy job. Or a sponge and soapy Water. You will need a 3" flat scraper also. There'll be plenty of YouTube videos I am sure.

Two issues are woodchip, takes ages. The other is either painted wallpaper or wipe clean with an almost waterproof finish. You can get a spiked roller, this pin pricks the surface and lets water/steam in to do it's work. Or you can go carefully and score with a hobby knife.

Have done plenty of removing of wall paper, hate the stuff.