Lessons learned from last ready - getting ready for cold snap

Conor

9 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

The Vaillant Arotherm unit doesn't give you the COP? it only provides info on energy yield as a total, then it gives power consumption for heating and DHW, but you can only figure out an overall COP not individual. 

My COP  was 2.74 last month. 1386kWh yield, 505 kWh power consumed. Seems like the COP isn't great. 

The WC I haven't messed with (largely as I don't know how) but it's fairly simple with no buffer, ASHP straight to the UFH which is a single zone. 

The Cop [In Vaillant terms] for this would be  ---  (Yield+Consumed)/Consumed   ---    (1386+505)/505  = 3.74, which is not bad. 

I

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blooda said:

The Cop [In Vaillant terms] for this would be  ---  (Yield+Consumed)/Consumed   ---    (1386+505)/505  = 3.74, which is not bad. 

I

So the yield is just the figure for what the heat pump is gaining and not the total, for energy given out. So a CoP of one, would be a yield of zero?

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

So the yield is just the figure for what the heat pump is gaining and not the total, for energy given out. So a CoP of one, would be a yield of zero?

I think so.

My guess is that vailant are a boiler company so that thinking is sort of built in to how they view things, and the (electrical) energy consumed by a boiler is not really relevant to the final heat output.

21 minutes ago, eandg said:

So using that metric our COP is 3.16 which doesn't seem great. Will that improve in the better weather when the temperature differential is less? Anything we can do to improve it?

How do you operate at the moment?

37 minutes ago, eandg said:

50° water temperature.

That's why you CoP isn't great, you need to start to reduce that flow temperature, ideally set up weather compensation.

Start by dropping the flow temp a couple of degrees leave for 24 hours and note down what if any has changed and outside average temp, keep doing this until the house temp drops a and doesn't recover back to 21, then add a degree back on.

Your flow temp will be more likely be in the mid 30s than 50.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnMo said:

That's why you CoP isn't great, you need to start to reduce that flow temperature, ideally set up weather compensation.

Start by dropping the flow temp a couple of degrees leave for 24 hours and note down what if any has changed and outside average temp, keep doing this until the house temp drops a and doesn't recover back to 21, then add a degree back on.

Your flow temp will be more likely be in the mid 30s than 50.

Thanks - will do.