Size of patio

iMCaan

I need some opinion on a (about foot and half) raised patio size please. Our back garden width is 5 meters. The length isn't an issue as it spans the length of the two sliding doors about 10 meters.

The architect's drawings show that the patio width is about 3 meters, which seems quite small. It doesn't seem like they'll be enough room for people to walk around a table and chairs.

If we extend the patio to 4 meters then it only leaves a quite narrow 1 meter strip to the boundary fence. Should we go all out 5 meters to the boundary fence or is 3 meters or even 3.5 meters enough?

Thank you 

23.png

21.png

22.jpg

3m may be a bit tight but it all depends on the patio furniture.  Adding a meter or two would ease that of course but I’d start from what will the patio be made from? Is it slabs/paving of a known size or a timber deck?

Ours is constructed from porcelain tiles, each 1200mm long so three of those gives us 3.6 meters and it’s enough to get past the patio furniture when people are sat there and way more than enough to get past when people aren’t sat there - which is most of the time. 

From your plans it looks like the further you go towards the fence the more ground you’ll have to build up which probably won’t come for free so if I were you I’d work out what your going to use for the patio, work out the size of the furniture and give yourself enough room to get past it when people are sat there but no more. 

• Like 2

Thank you

We were too considering large 1200mm porcelain tiles.

If 3.6 meters is sufficient space, it'll leave just 1.5 meters to the fence for plants and path. I'm not sure whether this will look good from patio?

Currently, the garden is pretty much level right up to the fence.

Thank you

We had an enormous L shaped patio in the previous house using indian sandstone. It was great except on hot days when it was unusable. It attracted flies it being a big radiator and was a death trap in the winter if it was icy. Apart from that. 😂 3m is too narrow. Mark it out with some builders blue marker spray paint or rope. Stick some chairs where you think they’ll go and walk around it. You’ll soon figure out how big it needs to be but 3.5m minimum I’d say. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2023 at 12:20, iMCaan said:

Thank you. Will play around with some spray paint.

Ours is 3.6m in width and is plenty. Pic attached for ref. The chairs go around the table fine and there is plenty of room (only moved them as we have had some very bad storms and they were blowing everywhere).

20231219_080606.thumb.jpg.478dfd890e4e5424461fa5feb3f3dcd3.jpg

Our pergola area is about 4.3m in width although we wanted it a little smallee it was to cover a large old brick septic tank.

20231219_081521.thumb.jpg.71c3b6d5b01ad72c0ed86643aa53b4b7.jpg

On 24/11/2023 at 19:37, ETC said:

Do the whole width as a patio. 

I agree. It will make the area look bigger. You can then have climbing plants all along the fence (jasmine Montana is evergreen, for example) and then some large pots for other plants to sit on the patio. I would lay the patio with a very slight incline towards the fence for drainage.