Heat Pumps work when installed correctly...

Marvin

13 minutes ago, Beelbeebub said:

Luxuries like sound proofing, aircon, electric mirrors and windows are very welcome and have also added weight

I suspect electric windows are lighter than the old mechanical winder mechanism.

The improvements in engine reliability, longevity, drivability, specific fuel consumption and reduced emissions over the last 40 years has been really amazing.

Specific fuel consumption especially. Who would have thought that a 1.6 tonne car can do 60+ MPG in the 1980s.

A car that can also take 5 people in comfort, go around corners safely, brake in half the highway code distances, and if you do hit something, there is a better than evens chance you unclip your seatbelt and get out.

I think that cars are really amazing. No need to make them smaller and lighter just to save 2p a mile on fuel.

As for physical size, tomorrow I am loading my old washing machine into the back of mine to take it to the dump, or Recycling Centre as they call them now.

Could not do that in an old Mk 1 or 2 Fiesta.

Pah you can keep your modern stuff, I just recovered my classic from my brothers garden where it’s been stored for a year under a rotten tarp, started without a problem and drove it 25 miles to mine. (It did run out of fuel in my gateway 🤣) my son is a car salesman and said he doubts modern cars would do that!!,, MPG, who cares 🤷‍♂️

IMG_0320.jpeg

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

started without a problem and drove it 25 miles to mine

Can you pop down to mine tomorrow afternoon and take my old washing machine away in it?

(I don't think anyone can call my car modern, has a Duratec engine, 30 year old design in its current configuration)

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you pop down to mine tomorrow afternoon and take my old washing machine away in it?

NO, that’s what my other car is for……

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

30 year old design

Well mine is 50 year old  😎

23 minutes ago, joe90 said:

is that not green in as far as not needing to be replaced

Interesting calculation.

When it was made, nearly all our power was from coal.  So the embodied emission would be higher than today, even of the embodied energy was lower.

Our mining and metal smelting industries were very dirty and environmentally damaging.

In use, I suspect that it is hard pushed to get 30 MPG, and the CO2 emission will be off the scale in todays terms i.e. several times what a small car can do.

Now I know it does not do many miles in your ownership, but how many miles has that engine done in the past, 60,000?

I just looked up that engine, and it is actually older than I thought, they stopped making it in 1956.

So some of the emission from its manufacture and its early running are still floating about in the atmosphere, adding to climate change.

There is also the disposal of the base vehicle it was made from.  It is only in the last 30 years or so that we have tightened up on disposal.  The paint the original was covered in was probably much more toxic than today's paints, and the chassis was almost certainly covered in part with lead based paint.

Then there are the tyres, they would have had a higher mix of natural rubber in them.  Not good for deforestation.

A lot of the fuel it ran on in the early days would have been from Nigeria, an award winning writer against the Niger River Delta pollution was executed for his part in the protests.

There is also the disposal of the current composite body, it will probably go to landfill.

So all in all, we have led this top total astray.

Edited by SteamyTea

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I was only joking

Yes, but legacy environmental damage is important in the scheme of things.

It is why the UK really has to be a world leading in green technology as we have to put right our historical wrongs somehow.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2023 at 19:05, SteamyTea said:

Yes, but legacy environmental damage is important in the scheme of things.

It is, but best talked about quietly as Great Britain didn't get great by doing environmentally friendly things. I'd hazard a guess that if the UK was tasked with putting right it's wrongs we'd be bankrupt overnight.

33 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

It is, but best talked about quietly as Great Britain didn't get great by doing environmentally friendly things. I'd hazard a guess that if the UK was tasked with putting right it's wrongs we'd be bankrupt overnight.

Except it would take us 30 years to decide what to do.

Then we would water down the proposal, then change it, then Welsh on the deal.

And it would not connect the North, and would be 3 stop from London.