Foundation problemn

iant63

Bottom of trench supposed to undisturbed as dug.

You sort are answering your own question

49 minutes ago, iant63 said:

,can't  leave as is

If you can't, is it being used? If not use flood it with concrete. Move on to next difficulty. If it's being used that's a whole heap of work - if you can't leave it.

Because I found it when  digging sump hole in foundation, never stopped raining .covered it so nothing fell on as I've done many times before intending to  show building inspector and  get his advice .And I forgot about it   I'm 60 years  of age doing an extension for family member . I've been doing building work since I was 16 . I'm not trying to pull the wool over anybody eyes . I made a .mistake and want to rectify it . It's making me ill  Thanks again for any advice. It's appreciated.

Yes need some pictures. There are several drainage experts on here. 

We uncovered a few ancient field drains when digging out. By ancient I mean trenches filled with stone so a few hundred years old in all likelihood and they were still working. Quite impressive really. We dug back tracing their route and diverted them into our drains and around the building. Therefore, can’t you find where it enters the underneath the trench dig back beyond the foundation and divert away from the building and then reconnect to wherever it goes. Then as John says flood the diverted bit with concrete. Possibly over simplifying the problem. 

7 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Possibly over simplifying the problem. 

correct, but a photo will tell us a lot, and maybe it is nothing to worry about or easily remedied.

also, please advise if there is an Architect or Engineer involved, and did anyone inspect the trench before pouring?

Another thing you can do is imagine the line of the pioe, in both directions.  Does it point towards any drains or chambers or a building?

I'm  pretty sure it's live it was clean when the  clay came off . The collar was clear and  had never been mortared up .no photo as I didn't  femember until everything was up to dpc. It was only when the inlaws started going on about aco drains and  where they could go that I remembered  . This I might dig down ,take a short  length of pipe out  and put a camera up and down it to see where it starts and finishes. I've only been trying to help out ,I'm on a site miles away .  Worrying times .I don't want finish  it , just for there to be problems later .also the pipe doesn't run under the super structure ,but that's beside the point I've got the spread on the concrete,and worry about anything washing into the pipe.thanks for replying 

Thanks for your replies. One end of the pipe points to the road and one end points to the back of the garden. Doesn't point to any houses. The original house is a spread footing, 2 course of brick dip and sat on a thin course foundation. The house drains are just below this. Any Ideas?

@iant63, are you most concerned about potentially blocking (and restricting future access to) the drain, or weakening the footing?

If you want 100% peace of mind can you dig down, re-route the drain on that corner with swept bends to sit outside the line of the footing, and ram the old drain full of concrete? Of course I know nothing else of the job but that would seem to perhaps to sort things, even if leaving you with a slightly 'bendy' drain run.

10 hours ago, iant63 said:

Thanks Redbeard. 

Yes more worried about weakening the footing. Suppose it doesn't matter how bent the pipe is as its a land drain. Reckon I should take out the old drain and mass fill it if I'm bending pipe round the corner?

Footings work by spreading load over a large surface area. This pipe will only be a relatively small surface area. It'll make no difference to the structure of the house. I do think that BC will ask you to lay a new land drain away from the house and cut this one off. The risk is the pipe fails, water starts escaping and flowing, erodes away the earth and creates a major weak point in the earth below the footing.

• Like 1