Is this an old gas line?

Square Feet

I have this thing sticking out of the wall of a Victorian-era property I am renovating.  I think the pipes are lead.  The tap is about 180cm up the wall behind the front door.  Is it the old gas supply line?  It's not the modern one.  I want to grind the tap off so that I can decorate over it, but I'm not quite brave enough without knowing what it is. Does anyone recognise it? Cheers.

5p is for scale. 

400698793_10229407574469985_9073245216817347478_n.jpg

Thank you all for the sage advice. However I am thinking of ignoring it all and drilling a hole in the pipe. 😂

The pipe seems to be lead, so it is not likely to spark. I really can't see this being a live gas line, so it's just residual gas in the pipe that I have to worry about.  Drilling a hole would let it out and then I could just grind away without having to worry about losing my eyebrows.

The lead won't spark but the bit might hot something.

My recollection of old gas pipes is of plumbers flattening them. That would leave it intact but just about closed... or it splits and vents.

But what if it is live, as the result of a previous bodge. 

ive seen some very dangerous copper gas pipe, expertly soldered but dangerously exposed...therefore..

it really needs a proper gas plumber to answer this.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 11:04, joe90 said:

BUT WHAT IF IT IS A LIVE GAS LINE!!!!!

Then it would be bypassing the gas meter and supplying me for free, which just isn't happening.  It probably hasn't been live for about 100 years - it was more a question of whether there would be residual gas in the line, but there wasn't.

• Like 1