Drilling joists and other supporting structure.

andreas

I need to pass a 15mm pipe through a 175 x 50 joist, then through a 175 x 80 trimmer joist perpendicular to the first joist. There is no other possible route for it to take. 

I have read guidance on drilling through joists but none of them mention if that is all types of joists, or if it is different with trimmer joists?

Also when they discuss the span, does it mean any individual span where a single joist spans several supports? The 175 x 50 starts on one wall, rests on a second wall 2.2m away, then a third wall 0.9m further on, then finally supported by the trimmer joist 0.3m further on. I need the hole ideally to go between the second and third wall, so do I just calculate the position based on a span of 0.9m, or on the total span?

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would say 15mm is pretty insignificant for a 175mm joist.  The important point is drill the hole on the centreline.

And avoid getting too close to the ends of the beam, as in stay several depths from the end EG 400mm plus if they are wooden joists the supplier will have a drilling chart you can use.