light stays on

Rob W

Hello, tenant's landing light stays glowing when either landing switch turned off or the switch at the bottom of the stairs turned off.

When i trip the circuit breaker the light goes off.

Possible the tenant had the light on all day and taking time for the LED bulb to discharge when switched off ?

Any suggestions welcome please, thankyou. 

When you say stays on, you mean glows VERY dim and can only be seen when it is dark?  If so capacitive coupling between adjacent L cores in a 3 core 2 way switching cable can cause this.  This can sometimes be cured by reconfiguring the usage of the 2 way switching cables to put the switched L cores either side of the earth.  Or fit a snubber in parallel with the light.  Or just try different types of light bulb.

If it is staying on at full brightness then you have a different fault.

• Like 1

In most cases it's caused by the capacitance between live and switched live in the drop from light or junction box down to the switch. Power effectively bypass the open switch to get to the light.

With old incandescent filaments their resistance is low enough that the switched live is effectively shorted to neutral by the filament. With LED bulbs that's not the case.

One solution is to put a resistor across the LED but that would burn power when the switch is ON.

A capacitor in the same place still burns a little power but I don't think it's metered as it's reactive power? I might be wrong about that. 

I suspect there are folks on eBay selling magic capacitors to fix the problem but you can buy a general purpose capacitor more cheaply. If I remember correctly it's a 0.1uf class X2 but can't swear to that.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. Returned to the tenants today to do some painting, took along a new switch, in case, but wasn't required, as when i re-inserted the bulb it no longer glowed, on & off fine.

No idea why but i have learnt a bit researching all possible reasons for lights glowing !