Just bought some land!

mjc55

4 hours ago, mjc55 said:

what would you say was "not a lot of money"? 

Well I paid £5k delivered fir a 30ft x 10ft two bed, bathroom, lounge/kitchen and kept it/lived In it fir 3 years , They do sell on as well. Luckily ours was fir a replacement dwelling so services existed. 

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Well I paid £5k delivered fir a 30ft x 10ft two bed, bathroom, lounge/kitchen and kept it/lived In it fir 3 years , They do sell on as well. Luckily ours was fir a replacement dwelling so services existed. 

Was that a private buy or did you find it on a website?

4 hours ago, Andehh said:

It's 1.5m horizontal, about 1.8 of actual overhang. Down the side it's only 800mm. About 23sqm of surface area based on the cladding we put on.

Brick and block with some serious steels to hold it all up, especially as its a floating corner that is suspending the overhang! Sliders are 5m on one side and 3m other side.

I do love the corner sliding doors, a great feat of engineering.  Did you consider cost differences between making that corner floating and using a post?

I guess the detailing regarding roof construction and insulation were interesting, how did you get away without cold bridging?

23 minutes ago, mjc55 said:

Was that a private buy or did you find it on a website?

Local static caravan dealer, had a choice of quite a few, Private might be cheaper but transport was included on mine. Vans tend to be relatively cheap when they are too old for most sites to keep them on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjc55 said:

Did you consider cost differences between making that corner floating and using a post?

I'd estimate £15k, perhaps more, extra  for a lot of heavy steel and foundations as it's supporting the roof, snow loads* and the sliding door.

I'd love to see drawings or photos of it.

* a valley gutter is assumed to collect a snow drift as well as the standard depth allowed for loading.

It does look good though and where would we be if everybody did the cheapest thing?

Re caravans.  Find your local dealer, there is a steady supply of second hand ones coming off holiday sites when they get too old.  The advantage of buying from a dealer is they usually have several to look at and choose from and they have the transport to move them, usually included in the sale price.  We paid £4K for ours, it was actually still on the holiday park when we viewed it, and we chose it for it's unusual layout with the living room in the centre and a bedroom at each end which suited our site well.  So it came on their wagon straight from the holiday park to our site.

You can buy privately but you have more work and travelling if you want to look at several, and you may find transport harder to arrange, our local dealer will only move 'vans they are selling or buying, they won't just move one privately sold.  On our first build when we sold the 'van at the end, I think the closest transport company the buyer could find that would move it was somewhere around Elgin.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjc55 said:

I do love the corner sliding doors, a great feat of engineering.  Did you consider cost differences between making that corner floating and using a post?

I guess the detailing regarding roof construction and insulation were interesting, how did you get away without cold bridging?

We never asked... due to a rapid change from extension to full rebuild, offered by the builder with a decent 15% odd discount if we agreed to start in 5 weeks vs the expected 9-12 months. - Builder had a large last minute commercial cancellation hitting him at the 11th hour, and we were the closest project to him to fill the gap.  The price he offered for the build we'd end up with included the floating corner, so we left them in.

I would guestimate its near 5 figures of potential saving, had we stuck a single post at that corner & done it sensibly.  The depth of foundations, sheer size of the steels, a month of delay due to some slight flex that was seen in the roof overhang steels (so the floating corner steels also then support two more steels that support the overhang....) and knock on design work to that corner of the house must have added up. 

Cold bridging was an issue & will be a compromise still I am sure..... Every bit of metal was infilled with PIR and foam, then the leading edge of the steels I applied a small strip of insulation likely butting up against the plasterboard. Basically did what little I could to micromanage the steels out of site with insulation best I could!

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed on land, relatively straightforward although vendors solicitors was part of the hack that has hapened in the last week or so.

Now the hard work starts!  (actully the really hard work will start sometime next year, in the meantime there is a lot of stuff to clear)

Pic 10.jpg

Pic 11.jpg

Pic 12.jpg

• Like 3