Help me balance my rads….

HughF

I recently installed a new central heating system, bunch of new rads, and three fan coils.

How can I balance my rads if the trv is on the outlet of the rad and the lock shield is on the flow? They are tboe with the trv at the top.

I have trvs upstairs only (ashp, open loop, no buffer)…

2 hours ago, HughF said:

I recently installed a new central heating system, bunch of new rads, and three fan coils.

How can I balance my rads if the trv is on the outlet of the rad and the lock shield is on the flow? They are tboe with the trv at the top.

Same way as if the TRV is on the inlet and the lockshield is on the outlet - where the LS and the TRV are makes no difference to balancing IMO if you throttle the flow on the inlet or throttle the flow on the outlet you are still throttling the flow......

I need to throttle the flow to get the delta-t across the rad up, so I need the lockshield on the outlet, don’t I?

This is on a heat pump system, open loop, no buffer. My rads are running at a delta-t of about 1.5 and a thermal camera shows the flow is short-cutting between flow and return across the rad.

IMG_0002.thumb.jpeg.97219f3786b98db7ec7b9f395f862319.jpeg

All the rads in the system are heating up, even ones further away, it’s just the flow through the rad is high.

Downstairs rads have standard valves so I can throttle the flow on the outlet, but my engineering head says the upstairs ones need to be the right way round.

If dT is too low *everywhere* dial back the pump before you throttle valves.

If a radiator that's been piped backwards and has the return at the top then hot, buoyant, water, is always going to piss off down the return in preference to staying in the rad. Plumber needs to change that for the rads not to act as bypasses with the flow looking like an "r" shape.

7 hours ago, markocosic said:

If dT is too low *everywhere* dial back the pump before you throttle valves.

If a radiator that's been piped backwards and has the return at the top then hot, buoyant, water, is always going to piss off down the return in preference to staying in the rad. Plumber needs to change that for the rads not to act as bypasses with the flow looking like an "r" shape.

Ill identify the flow/return on each radiator and make a plan for re-piping. I imagine it will be easier to just swap from TBOE to BBOE, that way the flow doesn’t matter?

14 hours ago, HughF said:

Check that the TRVs are a reversible type, not all are. The sensor measures the air temperature and there is an argument that measuring it at 2 -3 ft above floor level is actually better.

If the rads are all of the same pattern set the lockshield valves so it takes the same time for the hot water to reach the return pipe on each rad from a cold start. This works bc the volume of water is approx proportional to the output of the rad and so it makes the flow proportional to the output as well. Doing this you might get away with the wrong connections tho if the plumber will correct it for free you might as well get him back.

4 minutes ago, sharpener said:

If the rads are all of the same pattern set the lockshield valves so it takes the same time for the hot water to reach the return pipe on each rad from a cold start. This works bc the volume of water is approx proportional to the output of the rad and so it makes the flow proportional to the output as well. Doing this you might get away with the wrong connections tho if the plumber will correct it for free you might as well get him back.

Hadn't heard that method before, can you explain the method in a bit more detail as I'm being a bit thick and not following? 

The plumber is also my builder mate, who’s doing our extension/kitchen. I don’t really want to lump him with another job at the moment, nothing I can’t take care of (I do plumbing anyway)….

I’ve identified that the rad in the above photo is plumbed correctly (inlet at the top), and I’ve managed to get delta-t 2 ish…. Need to pop the front off the fan coils and set the ball-o-fix valves down on those first I think.

19 minutes ago, HughF said:

I’ve identified that the rad in the above photo is plumbed correctly (inlet at the top), and I’ve managed to get delta-t 2 ish…. Need to pop the front off the fan coils and set the ball-o-fix valves down on those first I think.

It looks - from the thermal camera - like the flowrate is too high for stratification to happening.

A dT of 2 on the heat pump side isn't a catastrophe (will cause increase pumping cost but meh); it's the fact that most of the water "isn't in use" because only a small part is running around in bypass that's causing your cycling.

22 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

yep, I'd be reducing the pump speed a bit. Easy on the iVT-9

Max speed of 60% and try that?

edit: pump min of 20, max of 75…. Seems to be throttling back a bit more. Still need to get balancing and figuring out the flow direction.

Edited by HughF
  • Like 1

Adjusting the lock shield valves on the upstairs rads seems to make zero difference to the delta-t across the rad, so that would suggest that the pump speed is ideal, would it not? I can get a delta-t of 4 when the flow temp ramps up, and the delta-t drops back as the compressor shuts down.

Yep, I get that, but I’d expect them to be a bit more granular, it’s all the same for 95% of the range, then it’s off….

I upped the bottom end of the pump pwm from 20 to 30, it seems to overshoot it’s temperature setpoint by 5 degrees or so at such a low pump pwm.

Give me air2air all day 🤣

Edited by HughF

8 minutes ago, HughF said:

Yep, I get that, but I’d expect them to be a bit more granular, it’s all the same for 95% of the range, then it’s off….

What brand of lockshield valves do you have? Some of them are total sh!te when it comes to adjustability. However, given the nature of hydronic systems, sometimes you find curious behaviour with valves at certain settings too.

21 minutes ago, HughF said:

It's call commissioning, that's why so many installs are pants, it just not done, there is plenty of fine tuning to do. Then you need to run it different modes to find out which is most effective from a heating perspective and running costs.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HughF said:

Yep, I get that, but I’d expect them to be a bit more granular, it’s all the same for 95% of the range, then it’s off….🤣

Have a read of https://www.heatgeek.com/what-you-dont-know-about-lockshield-valves/

which includes this graph.valves.jpg.87232f877f77d69bb4a81382530e2587.jpg

I've just gone through this with my new system. I used IMI valves which are supposed to be reasonably good, but I still found that they had to be practically closed before the adjustment started.

Ok, something interesting has happened… I’ve put 1.5 degrees on all the weather comp points and it’s sitting here ‘almost’ ticking along at minimum output. That’s encouraging. I’ve got the extra fan coil in the bathroom running now, that’s what’s changed since yesterday.

Short cycling seems to have reduced.

Edited by HughF

5 hours ago, SimonD said:

What brand of lockshield valves do you have? Some of them are total sh!te when it comes to adjustability. However, given the nature of hydronic systems, sometimes you find curious behaviour with valves at certain settings too.

Cheap ones from Screwfix, unfortunately….

6 hours ago, HughF said:

I upped the bottom end of the pump pwm from 20 to 30, it seems to overshoot it’s temperature setpoint by 5 degrees or so at such a low pump pwm.

My experience with TRV bases at the other end was that typically << 10% of the range was anything other than full flow or no flow.

7 hours ago, billt said:

Have a read of https://www.heatgeek.com/what-you-dont-know-about-lockshield-valves/

which includes this graph.valves.jpg.87232f877f77d69bb4a81382530e2587.jpg

I've just gone through this with my new system. I used IMI valves which are supposed to be reasonably good, but I still found that they had to be practically closed before the adjustment started.

Over sensitive lock shield valves is why I went for drayton EB bodies for the TRV's - 6 available presets does all the coarse adjustment and if you need to fine tune you can use the lock shield (only had to do that on towel rails)

14 hours ago, JamesPa said:

Hadn't heard that method before, can you explain the method in a bit more detail as I'm being a bit thick and not following? 

For a given mfr and construction (plain or convector) the water volume in rad is pretty much proportional to surface area (w x h x # of panels). Output is pretty much proportional to surface area too. For identical delta T you want flow rate to be proportional to heat output. Eliminate surface area from both sides and you get desired flow rate proportional to volume. This means equal time to displace the cold water with hot in each rad regardless of size/output. QED. Neat or what?

For convector fins the output is roughly 50% more so the return pipe should start to flow hot in 2/3 the time of the plain ones.

Edited by sharpener
  • Like 1

With the pump minimum set to 30%, I arrived on-site tonight to find all the rads evenly warm. Heat pump had been ‘on’ since 0600, the room stat is disconnected at the moment.

I had throttled the fan coils down to get me as close to dT5 as I could, and left the rads all open, when I last played around with this on Sunday evening.

Edited by HughF

• 4 weeks later...

Update: haven’t touched the lockshields forks month, but I managed to get the ufh plumbed and wired up.

Still one fan coil down so we’re just ticking along with emitter rejection slightly under the minimum modulation value of the heat pump, so we’re still cycling. Hoping to get the electrician back on site this coming week to get the kitchen second fixed and the last fan coil installed. That should give us 1100-1400w more emitter capacity and bump us above the 3.3kW minimum. Hoping to see the heat pump settle down to its 800w minimum then and just tick along in the background.