GSE frame offset?

puntloos

If you take a look at my current roof:

image.thumb.png.5504f6fcfbca65875af00c0591d54888.png

I'm sure most of you will agree there's theoretically enough space to the left of the left window. However, I'm told that GSE flashings connect together in such a way that you can't 'stagger' them. Can anyone confirm or deny that one? Does the 'top' panel have to be straight under the bottom panel? And if it is possible, maybe some description I can take to the builder ;)

we staggered ours. It meant taking a small slice off the side overlap joint and flashing of the "lower" panel, but the upper one covers it sufficiently and then the flashing roll was slid uo the back of it after tiling

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.c77d3b9f3a48e151e62f1669ed8f0536.jpg

• Like 1

On 26/10/2023 at 07:32, dpmiller said:

we staggered ours. It meant taking a small slice off the side overlap joint and flashing of the "lower" panel, but the upper one covers it sufficiently and then the flashing roll was slid uo the back of it after tiling

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.c77d3b9f3a48e151e62f1669ed8f0536.jpg

Somehow the builder thinks the GSE thinks *have* to 100% click together and I imagine in your case that's not the case? Or is there some 'clicking correctly' happening but you had to somehow trim a few edges?

yep, it becomes obvious when you have a couple of panels to-hand where issues will occur. Look at my top row in the photo, there's a raised overlap between each panel and the side flashing sits over that again, that's a height of about 10-15mm that you need to squeeze in underneath whatever...

The question sounds almost obvious but my solar guy said the GSE is interlocking to ensure watertightness. Sounds sensible by itself but does a roof (the 'top layer' of course) need to be fully watertight? Or do you think you managed to keep watertightness without using GSEs the way they are intended?

>>> does a roof … need to be fully watertight?

Suggest ‘no’ (the membrane is meant to handle the drips, condensation etc) but it’s all a matter of judgement. There’s probably a standard somewhere, but realistically the desired level of water and wind-tightness depend on the house location, orientation etc. That is, if you go off-piste the responsibility is on you (it’s probably on you anyway).

Jeez those instructions are hard to read.