TIMBER/BLOCK/SIPS DOUBLE GARAGE INSANE £££

Saul

I intend to build a fairly simple double garage to house a classic car in the New Year. I'm astonished by the quotes that are coming through and wondered if anyone had experience with kit builds or whether getting a Block garage built and insulating it myself is a better more affordable route these days. I know Timber and other materials went crazy during the Pandemic but have prices not returned to normal? Thank you 

double-garage-kit-108-faca-1024x725.jpg

Double-Garage-Build-Deganwy-North-Wales-Raft-Foundation-Tarmac-Driveway-4-1024x512.jpg

38W2TEi9.jpg

2-garaz-dwustanowiskowy-dach-plaski.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 10.19.28.png

I have just erected one of these, you can get some of their cabins in twin wall for insulation so maybe they will do you a garage in similar. Better priced than most and timber good quality. Dead easy to DIY. Mine was built on a 150mm slab, no foundations so cheaper again. Mine is for a classic car and motor bike and I think it looks pretty. (Just waiting for a bespoke classic looking up and over door to arrive)

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/single-wooden-garage-4m-x-6m-13x20-ft-44-mm.html.  For other types

image.jpg

Edited by joe90

How much is insane? 

Stick built on-site or block built will be cheapest traditional build method or do what I did and build an insulated steel building. Mine has 80mm insulation in walls and ceiling with insulated doors. 100mm insulation under the slab. 2G window. 10m x 6.5m

IMG_9723.thumb.jpeg.f4b856042ad67722290d62c9c93bfd1b.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have just erected one of these, you can get some of their cabins in twin wall for insulation so maybe they will do you a garage in similar. Better priced than most and timber good quality. Dead easy to DIY. Mine was built on a 150mm slab, no foundations so cheaper again. Mine is for a classic car and motor bike and I think it looks pretty. (Just waiting for a bespoke classic looking up and over door to arrive)

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/single-wooden-garage-4m-x-6m-13x20-ft-44-mm.html.  For other types

image.jpg

Nice 

• Like 1

@joe90s is optimum for cost I'd say, as a diy project. I looked at this and similar suppliers.

@Kelvin steel kit can be good value, esp for bigger areas because steel jumps big spaces very efficiently.

Ready made timber kits can be quite expensive.

Timber stud built on site is stronger than a t & g kit, but needs designing, and much cheaper than a kit of parts. 

Here's ours using free family labour and newfound skills. No contractors or designers engaged at all ( except that i looked at the sketches and said ok).

The bco agreed that it was below his threshold area IMG-20230623-WA0011.thumb.jpg.e09825dcbb67cb85ccbe987fbbc5ac37.jpgand that the canopy isn't a building.

NB the pin jointed column bases and home made garage doors. The pedestrian door is unnecesarily flash  as was free, as supplied wrong for the house.

Cost? I'd have to check but about £4k materials. Labour say 30 man days.

Commercially then that is about £10k, and add oh &p.   Plus vat.  Total £18k.

@Saul your turn. What cost range are you getting?

IMG-20230620-WA0007.jpg

• Like 1

I would agree with T@G but mine was 44mm thick timber, not going to bend/shrink much, in fact the building is designed to shrink slightly as the timber dries, no vertical timber, the building is designed to shrink in height. By up to 35mm and so no gaps in the boards like most T@G. Also 44mm should give some insulation value, mine was less than £6k all in, including wood treatment 👍

I originally wanted an insulated timber kit garage built to a similar spec to the house in the same cladding and roof material. When I looked at it 5 years ago it was all quite affordable. However fast forward to this year and it was going to cost £70,000 which was more than twice the cost and way over my budget. The steel building came in well under my budget including the foundation and was up and usable in two days. Aesthetically it’s  matter of taste but I really like the look of it. 

15 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Aesthetically it’s  matter of taste but I really like the look of it. 

A building that does its job well is a good building.

While on:   I think you are South of this but good luck with the weather. A red warning is just scary. This explanation below  is very good.

Ditto anyone north of Inverness. Same rainfall Kent etc, but no mountain ranges to concentrate it.

BBC News - Storm Babet: Red weather warning of 'unprecedented' levels of rain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67144619

Edited by saveasteading

Unfortunately we are right on the edge of it. 100mm forecast for us. I’ve been helping digging out culverts today. I’ve made up 25 sandbags and built up my problem areas. I also got some of those water activated snake things. I’ve moved everything that the wind might have picked up and secured it. Not much more I can do. Will head down to my site early tomorrow to keep an eye on things.  

• Like 1

There's no icon for good luck. Full report on the gutters and drainage expected after tomorrow.

Shut all doors and openings in the garage to reduce wind uplift.

Who ever heard of gales off the SE? These new N Sea turbines will be well tested.

6 hours ago, Kelvin said:

How much is insane? 

Stick built on-site or block built will be cheapest traditional build method or do what I did and build an insulated steel building. Mine has 80mm insulation in walls and ceiling with insulated doors. 100mm insulation under the slab. 2G window. 10m x 6.5m

IMG_9723.thumb.jpeg.f4b856042ad67722290d62c9c93bfd1b.jpeg

Up to £45k = insane in my mind. Yours looks cool. Mine is on a housing estate so have to be mindful of the neighbours. Keeping it basic size for 6x5.5m Double with flat roof.

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

image.jpg

I am aware of them but put off by negative reviews and wondered about it's strength as they look more like posh sheds. Over a Double width door I'd be a little bit scared but am sure yours is fine especially with the shelter from the wall next to it. Good luck with the door!

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

@joe90s is optimum for cost I'd say, as a diy project. I looked at this and similar suppliers.

@Kelvin steel kit can be good value, esp for bigger areas because steel jumps big spaces very efficiently.

Ready made timber kits can be quite expensive.

Timber stud built on site is stronger than a t & g kit, but needs designing, and much cheaper than a kit of parts. 

Here's ours using free family labour and newfound skills. No contractors or designers engaged at all ( except that i looked at the sketches and said ok).

The bco agreed that it was below his threshold area IMG-20230623-WA0011.thumb.jpg.e09825dcbb67cb85ccbe987fbbc5ac37.jpgand that the canopy isn't a building.

NB the pin jointed column bases and home made garage doors. The pedestrian door is unnecesarily flash  as was free, as supplied wrong for the house.

Cost? I'd have to check but about £4k materials. Labour say 30 man days.

Commercially then that is about £10k, and add oh &p.   Plus vat.  Total £18k.

@Saul your turn. What cost range are you getting?

IMG-20230620-WA0007.jpg

£28-45k. Happy to do quite a bit myself internally and have an electrician father but definitely want the water tight structure handled by pros. Best of luck finishing yours. looks like great fun!

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

image.jpg

Floor paint look smart. Do you have any issues with rainwater blowing into the  garage? 

I just built a 7mx8m double garage with 2x roller doors and a door at the back. It cost me £3750 in materials plus my summer building myself. It did pole barn design with a tarmac floor (tarmac already there) . It looks great and works great. 

Edited by gc100
  • Like 1

So looking like this will now be a Block Build Garage Rendered in Weberpral Monocouche to match the house. If anyone knows of a good building company that might want to take this on in the Bicester/Oxfordshire area any recommendations would be appreciated. Plot shown as per attached.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 15.03.54.png

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 10.18.48.png

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 15.04.23.png

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 14.33.28.png

Double Garage.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 20.49.41.png

487.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Looking for any final advice before I move forward! Thank you!

I’ve now moved in and need to get this garage built asap. It’s looking like it’s going to cost £35k all in which is still a massive amount of money. My issue is now with the internal ceiling height I’m like to get being 6’2” tall and thinking internally it’s going to be under 7’

To get this garage built within permitted development I will be GIA under 30m2. Garage Width will be 5.5m and Length 5.8m Externally. Block Built with Piers and Rendered to match the house. Maximum height under PD is 2.5m. The Double door will be 4500mm wide by 2000mm tall so I only have 500mm left!! The Headroom needed for the Door is 140mm. For the flat roof I need at least 240mm tall I Joists for the width span plus I need Ferrings and then a Stand Up

2500mm Max Height

2000mm Door Height

140mm Door Mechanism Head Room

78mm Ferrings Height

150mm Stand Up

I’m over already by 88mm

This is crazy! 

3 hours ago, Saul said:

Looking for any final advice before I move forward! Thank you!

I’ve now moved in and need to get this garage built asap. It’s looking like it’s going to cost £35k all in which is still a massive amount of money. My issue is now with the internal ceiling height I’m like to get being 6’2” tall and thinking internally it’s going to be under 7’

To get this garage built within permitted development I will be GIA under 30m2. Garage Width will be 5.5m and Length 5.8m Externally. Block Built with Piers and Rendered to match the house. Maximum height under PD is 2.5m. The Double door will be 4500mm wide by 2000mm tall so I only have 500mm left!! The Headroom needed for the Door is 140mm. For the flat roof I need at least 240mm tall I Joists for the width span plus I need Ferrings and then a Stand Up

2500mm Max Height

2000mm Door Height

140mm Door Mechanism Head Room

78mm Ferrings Height

150mm Stand Up

I’m over already by 88mm

This is crazy! 

Welcome to the fun of the 2.5m PD limit :)

Why do you need a 150mm upstand? Can't you redesign the roof to not have that?

What do you mean by "140mm door mechanism room"? Do you mean the actual frame of the door?

In your drawings, is the roof pitching back to front? And are your big doors at the front? If so, what are the I joists going to hang off - a steel? If so, have you factored the height of that in?

Looking at your pictures again, why don't you just move the building and adjust the width so it's not within 2m of the boundaries? Then you can build up to 3m with a flat roof or 4m with a dual pitch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2024 at 22:30, oliwoodings said:

Welcome to the fun of the 2.5m PD limit :)

Why do you need a 150mm upstand? Can't you redesign the roof to not have that?

What do you mean by "140mm door mechanism room"? Do you mean the actual frame of the door?

In your drawings, is the roof pitching back to front? And are your big doors at the front? If so, what are the I joists going to hang off - a steel? If so, have you factored the height of that in?

I forgot the 240mm I Joists from the list summary. The joists will run Side to Side so no need for a Steel. The door mounts to the face of the pillars inside. The Door is 2000mm tall but the running gear internally will be 140mm over the height of the door. Apparently the upstands don’t count as Roof Height so I should be able to do this in PD at 1m boundary.

Garage .png

Garage a.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 13.25.04.png