Garage wiring - conduit

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

I've started looking at wiring our new garage. There will be a 32amp incoming feed to a small RCBO board I intend to have multiple 2-gang metal sockets distributed around the 8mx6m interior. I was wondering whether running galvanised metal conduit was a sensible method of distribution (the Deta stuff from Screwfix looks cost effective).

Can anyone tell me how easy or otherwise this stuff is to use? Is it overkill for a domestic garage - Should I be sticking to plastic ?

HI Alphonsox

I installed a fair bit of this stuff myself in my workshop thought I cheated. I never invested in a pipe bender or thread/die set for creating threaded ends on the pipes.

The deta conduit comes with threaded ends. Its really easy to cut with a hacksaw.

I planned the route of the sockets etc to basically use straight lines and 90 degree turns so that I could utilized the connectors and not have to bend the pipe.

I bought some couplers that do not use threaded connections, but instead have a wormscrew that you tighten to hold the conduit section in place.

happy with the result, but might not suit what you want

I just used plastic conduit and metalclad double gang sockets.  Cheap, quick to install, and good enough protection for the cables in this application.  It's not as if the conduit is likely to be hit by something like a forklift, where metal stuff may offer better protection. 

I did fit a bigger CU and add contactors for the power circuits.  I have three radial power circuits, all protected at 20A, all switched with 25A DP contactors.  The contactors are all switched via a common 6A protected supply, via two emergency stop buttons either side of the workshop, plus a DP illuminated switch by the personnel door, next to the light switch.  This allows all the socket supplies to be isolated by either hitting one of the E stop buttons or by switching the DP switch by the door.  My main reason for doing this is that there will be two milling machines, a lathe, metal bandsaw, mitre saw etc in there, all capable of causing serious injury.  I wanted a way for me, or my other half, to be able to quickly isolate the power if there was a problem.  The DP illuminated isolator on the supply to the E stops and contactors is there mainly as a way of just quickly turning all the sockets (except the electric door socket) off when the workshop isn't in use, as a fire precaution more than anything else.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vijay said:

and plastic conduit is easy to bend apparently

It is.  A cheap spring-type bender inserted inside the conduit, and you can then just bend it over your knee.  You need to over-bend it a bit, to allow for the spring back, but it's easy to get pretty good bends after you've done a couple.

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

It is.  A cheap spring-type bender inserted inside the conduit, and you can then just bend it over your knee.  You need to over-bend it a bit, to allow for the spring back, but it's easy to get pretty good bends after you've done a couple.

A little tip for anyone doing this ....

Get a piece of 22 or 28mm armaflex or other nitrile insulation and slip it over the pipe where you want the bend and then put your knee against that ... 

It will give a slightly smoother bend and also not require you to have surgery on your knees in later life due to compression damage to the joint ... guess how I learnt that one ..!

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Nylon knickers work well if grasped firmly in your hand! ;)

Rub up an down the pvc conduit like a mad thing to generate heat then it bends nicely with the spring.

Exactly what I was told - apart from the knickers bit lol

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Nylon knickers work well if grasped firmly in your hand! ;)

Rub up an down the pvc conduit like a mad thing to generate heat then it bends nicely with the spring.

Or just warm it up with a hot air gun on a low heat. 

You and your fetishes :P 

Edited by Barney12

Guest Alphonsox

Thanks for the input -it looks like plastic is the way to go. Are there any preferred brands/makes ? Or are they all much the same ?

@JSHarris I like the idea of fitting emergency off buttons on the power feeds. There have been a few occasions in the past where I could have done with something similar.

8 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Thanks for the input -it looks like plastic is the way to go. Are there any preferred brands/makes ? Or are they all much the same ?

@JSHarris I like the idea of fitting emergency off buttons on the power feeds. There have been a few occasions in the past where I could have done with something similar.

I used Toolstation as it was cheapest. It was fine.

3 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Did you use the 20mm or 25mm version ?

20mm. You can get a 2.5mm ring (two cables) in without too much trouble.

Edit: The 20mm males will then go straight into the metal clad socket through the knockout. Bang tidy :)

Edit2: The bends are easier to feed than the elbows which are quite tight.

Edited by Barney12