Leaking breathable felt

Jimbo63464

We are currently in the process of having our roof replaced. We have used what we thought was a premium breathable felt with clay Broseley tiles. The roofers have stripped off the roof at the front and back and re-felted the front with suitable Batton spacing ready for the tiles. As far as we are concerned once the roof had the new felt and battons we (roofer and I) thought that the house was sufficiently water tight as a temporary measure while the dormas were completed at the back of the house. With some heavy rain the felt is leaking like a sieve. It is as if it is coming through every nail hole and running down the rafters to the wall plate onto the ceilings below. The manufacturer has come out and their guys who came out admitted that they have had some issues with the product. They then have spent over 2 weeks testing the felt they took from our roof but have now come back and said they don't expect it to be waterproof and it is only a secondary water proof layer. This seems like BS to me. Anyone else had any issues or advice they can offer?? Please! 

I acknowledge that it is secondary, however if the felt layer is not waterproof then I am not sure on the point of having it is?

We have had a reply from the manufacturer and they have admitted it failed their 'water hold out test' however they are blaming this on contamination. 

Proctor Roofshield. This was more than the odd drip. This was coming through every nail hole and running down the rafters and saturating the ceilings below. 

The back of the house which is West facing and gets the brunt of our weather didn't leak. The front which is East facing is where it leaked but as it was different rolls so this is why we believe it could be a faulty batch but obviously they are denning that and blaming "contamination" Not really sure what they are suggesting this could be and I will seek clarification tomorrow but very much feels like a large company trying to cover up a faulty product. 

Spoke to building control today regarding it who are also not interested and said it is an issue for me to take up with the manufacturer. They are obviously not worried about the thousands of other customers using the same product which clearly doesn't perform as it should.

You are probably the best judge of whether the stuff is up to spec.  It does not sound like it to me.  What does you roofer think?  You will rarely get a manufacturer or contractor admit to faulty materials or workmanship.  They will always try to blame you / others.

From a legal standpoint your claim would be against whoever you bought from, but the manufacturer may choose to step up and get it sorted so they don't lose face.  Good luck!

For anyone that's interested I thought I would provide an update. 

I have spoken to several roofing companies today who have all been saying similar things. Apparently this product was brilliant for 30 years but seriously gone downhill in the last 18 months / 2 years since the company was bought out. Some local roofers had issues with it leaking and the manufacturer was not interested in the slightest. Many of them have moved away from the product and are using alternatives now. 

Apparently the term and conditions also changed at the same time. Once it was considered a waterproof layer now they use phrases such as ". The roofing underlay should therefore be considered water-resistant and not waterproof"

39 minutes ago, Jimbo63464 said:

Apparently the term and conditions also changed at the same time.

Proctor Roofshield has a BBA Certificate and is advertised as such. That stands independently from any terms & conditions.

The certificate states that the fabric meets BS EN 13859-1 : 2014 Class W1 (a 200mm static water column) - which is the top rating (Class W2 being somewhat less good). But that is a test of the fabric, not the nail holes, which you note are the points of leakage - so presumably the fabric itself is performing OK? If you really think not and the company aren't adequately cooperating, then I guess your options include getting a sample independently tested and/or or seeking advice from Trading Standards.

Edited by Mike

On 10/10/2023 at 19:29, Jimbo63464 said:

This was coming through every nail hole and running down the rafters and saturating the ceilings below. 

You've mentioned nail holes a couple of times yet all the discussion seems to be about the membrane material. If the water is coming in through the nail holes, and only the nail holes, then what does the material have to do with it? A hole is a hole and of course is never going to be waterproof. The mitigation for this is, and always has been, ensuring the membrane is drooped between rafters (keeps any water that finds its way through away from the rafters and nail holes) and of course having a layer of tiles on top (which practically keeps all the water away in the first place).

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

On 09/10/2023 at 20:13, Jimbo63464 said:

We are currently in the process of having our roof replaced. We have used what we thought was a premium breathable felt with clay Broseley tiles. The roofers have stripped off the roof at the front and back and re-felted the front with suitable Batton spacing ready for the tiles. As far as we are concerned once the roof had the new felt and battons we (roofer and I) thought that the house was sufficiently water tight as a temporary measure while the dormas were completed at the back of the house. With some heavy rain the felt is leaking like a sieve. It is as if it is coming through every nail hole and running down the rafters to the wall plate onto the ceilings below. The manufacturer has come out and their guys who came out admitted that they have had some issues with the product. They then have spent over 2 weeks testing the felt they took from our roof but have now come back and said they don't expect it to be waterproof and it is only a secondary water proof layer. This seems like BS to me. Anyone else had any issues or advice they can offer?? Please! 

Interesting. I have just had EXACTLY the same problem.

The membrane? Roofshield.

• 3 months later...
On 16/02/2024 at 22:26, WhiteBoyRick said:

Yeah that's a lot of BS, we've had the same issues in Scotland with that felt. On slated roofs we don't have battens and it's still an issue.

Just a cop out from them making a shitty product.

• Like 1