Hep2o tap connector.....what is this washer/grommit for?

Thorfun

greetings. I am using hep2o 90° tap connectors to connect my toilet cisterns to the water supply. they come with a rubber washer and I can't figure out what it's for! can anyone shed any light please? it's the bit with the red arrow pointing to in the image below:

image.jpeg.55854ad700b505d0ef07ebd58eb6dcc0.jpeg

The reason for the two washers is to cover all types of tap tails, some have a square end (flat washer) others have a tapered internal bore (tapered washer).”

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

so how does one know when it's required?

40 minutes ago, joe90 said:

, some have a square end (flat washer) others have a tapered internal bore (tapered washer).”

Look at the tap end you are connecting too

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Look at the tap end you are connecting too

image.jpeg.d5dcb17c168be505611aa58d9a075c3d.jpeg

errr....there's no washer I can see! have I used the wrong connector? or do I just ignore that rubber washer as it's not required in this situation?

ps. I used Loctite 55 as I prefer it to PTFE

Edited by Thorfun
added the Loctite bit

That’s tapered as far as I can see so the spare washer is not required. The tapered rubber washer on the connector fits in the tapered end on the tap. Lock tite or PTFE is not required as the thread is not relied on to give a seal like an olive.  I see so many people put ptfe tape on threads when not required 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

That’s tapered as far as I can see so the spare washer is not required. The tapered rubber washer on the connector fits in the tapered end on the tap. Lock tite or PTFE is not required as the thread is not relied on to give a seal like an olive.  I see so many people put ptfe tape on threads when not required 🤷‍♂️

thank you. I didn't know it didn't need tape! it can't hurt though, right?

Every "tap" I have joined to, which includes the inlet to say a WC fill valve has had a flat end and so would need the flat washer in this case.  So I don't know why they would fit the tapered one as the default.

A proper plumber will be along I am sure to advise.

11 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

that's just old age

Still confused on why any copper . Admit you definitely don’t want compression fitting on a hep20 - it can fail for certain . With all the plumbing I did no compression fittings or copper ….

2 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Still confused on why any copper . Admit you definitely don’t want compression fitting on a hep20 - it can fail for certain . With all the plumbing I did no compression fittings or copper ….

i'm only using copper where it will be visible and where it is needed. for example on my plumbing thread i need a wall plate connection for the shower head. looks like the hep2o version is now plastic so i don't trust that. so will convert to copper (either pushfit or compression) for that connection. but as you can see on that thread from my iBox install it's hep2o all the way!

25 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

i'm only using copper where it will be visible and where it is needed. for example on my plumbing thread i need a wall plate connection for the shower head. looks like the hep2o version is now plastic so i don't trust that. so will convert to copper (either pushfit or compression) for that connection. but as you can see on that thread from my iBox install it's hep2o all the way!

Fair enough reason . Personally I hate any pipe work anywhere visible .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ProDave said:

Tap connectors are supposed to be a square edge.  If you need the tapered one, you are probably joining onto a fitting that is supposed to have a nut and an olive?  @Nickfromwales ?

The Hep2o tap connector is what I use on these, and the spare / alternative ‘square’ washer goes in the bin. 
Sorry to be late to the party, just crazy busy atm. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Thorfun said:

image.jpeg.d5dcb17c168be505611aa58d9a075c3d.jpeg

errr....there's no washer I can see! have I used the wrong connector? or do I just ignore that rubber washer as it's not required in this situation?

ps. I used Loctite 55 as I prefer it to PTFE

Use zilch here, these go on dry, or the rubber washer displaces and you are Donald Ducked. 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use zilch here, these go on dry, or the rubber washer displaces and you are Donald Ducked. 

do i undo and take off the Loctite 55 tape?

don't want @joe90 to accuse me of being a bodge again. 🤣

Edited by Thorfun
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

do i undo and take off the Loctite 55 tape?

don't want @joe90 to accuse me of being a bodge again. 🤣

If the rubber isn’t covered with it then you’re ok, but I never ‘lube’ these up as the idea is for the rubber to take against the brass and stay put. 

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If the rubber isn’t covered with it then you’re ok, but I never ‘lube’ these up as the idea is for the rubber to take against the brass and stay put. 

what rubber?! 

• Confused 1