Installing stone resin shower tray

Dee

Hi

The shower tray I was about to install has a flat base to it, no indents ect, just totally flat....is this a problem as most I've looked at seem to have a patterned bottom? It appears to not be level either,  it rocks from one corner to the diagonal corner. Should I send it back?

Sorry, racing ahead in all directions.

First hurdle reached....dry laid ply, tray and waste and waste sits slap bang behind a joist ( I've posted a picture) would have to notch out more the 50% of 5" joist to get it through and I know that's way too much. Can't bring tray forward either as not enough space. Don't want to put it on legs either.

Any ideas?!20231007_153543.thumb.jpg.a5529b839e34e29bde6e4184db6c6fdd.jpg

1 minute ago, TonyT said:

Get a flat steel plate made to span a good length of the joist and it will let you make the cut out 

+1  Although a hole at mid height on the joist better than notching.

Sorry if you know this but...  I leave a clearance hole around the trap in the ply. I plumb the bottom of the trap in position in the floor and support it losely in the right place but with some freedom to move vertically (eg clearance hole nneeded around pipes to allow say 10mm movement vertically). Then fix down ply and tray. Immediately fit top part of trap through hole in tray into bottom part of the trap. This pulls the bottom part up to the under side of the tray hence the need to allow for some vertical movement. Do some dry runs with spacer to represent the mortar/tile adhesive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Can you rotate the tray 180?  Failing that, get one with the waste in a different location.

I could but that eould make it very tricky to reach if needed. I did consider that but not really an option I'm afraid 

5 hours ago, Dee said:

Others have said silicone adhesive is good enough

If you put it on silicon it will rock Especially on a timber floor I’ve tiled and paneled around lots of trays that have relied on what’s on the walls to hold it in place 

Spend a tenner on some tile adhesive and do it once 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TonyT said:

Oh and use 50mm pipe 

Could I run the waste pipe parallel to the joist with fall and 'T' it into the sink waste to get under the joist?...see sketch

There is a void of about 7"                ( bathroom joists/void/ceiling beams) which would allow for plenty of wiggle room and fall.

16967465384175017102310550856682.jpg