Securing base units offset from wall

jayc89

Our base units in the utility room will be stood off the wall by 100mm to accommodate for washing machine/dryer hidden in a standard 600 deep cupboard and a service void behind to run drain pipes etc. 

I need to figure out a way to secure them whilst maintaining the 100mm offset. Do I just use some 47x100 regularised timber battens screwed through the wall on their ends? Presumably I'd just run these top and bottom across each unit?

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 07.49.17.png

I did exactly that on our kitchen To give us a deeper worktop 

Fixed two layers of 3x2 inline with the top of the base units It also made the base units very easy to fit No drilling or plugs 

• Thanks 1

Just be careful in relation to what you put on the wall. I usually use sticks of timber to stand units off the wall. The problem you have to avoid is chunky deep timbers in the wall may well prevent your washing machine going back far enough into your unit. Ie; they hit the timber that you have put on the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc89 said:

Presumably I'd just run these top and bottom across each unit?

Just the top will do, feet on the floor give three points of contact, as said above careful you can get washing machine/dishwasher under it.

• Like 1

I would recess the drain pipe into the wall to avoid this or route it differently. What is the wall construction?

Spacing the units out means deeper worktops and wider gable end panels on the end of all the units.

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would recess the drain pipe into the wall to avoid this or route it differently. What is the wall construction?

Spacing the units out means deeper worktops and wider gable end panels on the end of all the units.

Everything's done now, 40mm waste pipe goes behind toilet stud wall into the soil pipe behind W/C frame. Kitchen's on order and will be here next week inc. deeper worktops and filler panels. 

I could have potentially ran the waste pipe externally but was trying to avoid another penetration. (In hindsight it would have been a better idea)

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oh we all have 20/20 hindsight,, at my age it’s called experience 🤣

Been in the house just over 2 years now. Pretty much everything we did in the first few months I've already re-done. It's been a hell of a learning curve. 

Just read this on DIYKitchens;

Also, base units do not require wall brackets, just the connecting bolts, which are supplied. With regards to tall larder units, no fittings for these are supplied, you will just need to use a few l-shaped brackets, if the unit needs securing to the wall.

I assume fitting wall brackets to the base units is a good idea regardless?

38 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Just read this on DIYKitchens;

I assume fitting wall brackets to the base units is a good idea regardless?

Yes definitely, otherwise your worktops could come away from the wall, simple small L brackets from cupboard sides at the top to wall/timber before the worktops go on, just behind the cupboard back board (you need to screw slightly down hill over the back board , I can supply a CAD (crayon aided drawing) if you want 🤣

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yes definitely, otherwise your worktops could come away from the wall, simple small L brackets from cupboard sides at the top to wall/timber before the worktops go on, just behind the cupboard back board (you need to screw slightly down hill over the back board , I can supply a CAD (crayon aided drawing) if you want 🤣

Got it. I'll get some on order for next week. Cheers @joe90