Tree stump stuck in fence

Has anyone got any tips on how to remove an 18inch tree stump which has grown round a pvc coated chain link fence. 

I've tried a wood splitter but the stump is fresh so it didn't work.

I can't use a chainsaw for fear of damaging the chain on the embedded wire.

Any suggestions welcome.

tree stump.jpg

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Multitool and an extension lead maybe.

I've got a multitool but I don't think it's powerful enough to cut that amount of fresh wood. It might work eventually but I think i'd need to blunt several blades

Cut the fence both sides of the stump, chop stump out some how, or get a stump grinder in. 

Then go and buy a new 10m roll of fence and knit it in to the original chain link, it’s fairly easy if you look at how it’s made. 

If you go this way, come back here and I will talk you through it. 

13 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Cut the fence both sides of the stump, chop stump out some how, or get a stump grinder in. 

Then go and buy a new 10m roll of fence and knit it in to the original chain link, it’s fairly easy if you look at how it’s made. 

If you go this way, come back here and I will talk you through it. 

I presume you mean something like this vid. His first (bodge) suggestion is obviously doable , and he makes the "proper" fix look easy enough, but im not sure its as easy as he suggests. Anyway im thinking about it, I may give it a go if there is nothing simpler.

27 minutes ago, dscoll said:

The wood is 18" and the blade of the saw was only 4" so it failed badly.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-s1531l-green-wood-reciprocating-saw-blades-240mm-5-pack/71339?tc=WC2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZKs78LegQMV4ZGDBx0w1AueEAQYASABEgLEn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.  Still only 240mm but made for green wood.

Edited by joe90

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Yeah I did think about that, but the saw is battery powered and the 4" blade was struggling so I think a bigger blade would be worse, but there only £15 so it may be worth a go.

Don’t do what a bloke I know did. He put a circular saw blade in an angle grinder, took the handle off because it was getting in the way and a few seconds later he cut his leg off 🤮

He did get a free helicopter ride to hospital though so it wasn’t all bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russdl said:

Don’t do what a bloke I know did.

Well you can get wood carving blades for angle grinders (basically small circular saw blades)  and I used one to trim a plastic drain, when I finished I went to put it down but  the cord got cought on something and it turned back on my left hand almost taking my thumb off 😱, they managed to sew it back on but tendon damage has restricted its movement and it aches in the cold so the moral  is always wait for the blade to stop before putting it down.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Russdl said:

Don’t do what a bloke I know did. He put a circular saw blade in an angle grinder, took the handle off because it was getting in the way and a few seconds later he cut his leg off 🤮

He did get a free helicopter ride to hospital though so it wasn’t all bad. 

I've always fancied a ride in a helicopter and i've got a circular saw but unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, dscoll said:

I've always fancied a ride in a helicopter and i've got a circular saw but unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder

Can lend you one day of mine.

And a tripod to cold a camera steady while you chop things off.

Slightly more serious.

Get a sanding disk in an angle grinder and you can sand it away if the stump is dry.

Chainsaw don't work too well on dry wood, same as fine toothed saws. All gets a bit sticky.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

TBH invest £50 in a bloke to grind it out in 30 minutes.

By the time you have pfaffed for an afternoon it is worth it.

Then leave the gap at the bottom of the fence for perambulating hedgehogs.

I'm in London, you don't get much for £50.  Fair point about the hedgehogs though.

11 minutes ago, dscoll said:

I'm in London, you don't get much for £50.  Fair point about the hedgehogs though.

You get lots of journeys on public transport for 50quid.

Don't think we have enough busses to get out the county, regardless of price.

29 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You get lots of journeys on public transport for 50quid.

Don't think we have enough busses to get out the county, regardless of price.

Can you hire a relevant tool?

Or I wonder if a bow saw to cut by hand 3-4" off the ground is he way?

Drill a hole in the center with a spade bit and then drill holes roughly 8 inches (20 cm) to 10 inches (25 cm) deep in the top of the stump. Fill the holes with potassium nitrate and then pour hot water into the holes to dissolve the powder. Build a teepee of wood around the stump and set it on fire. 🤷‍♂️

54 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Can you hire a relevant tool?

Or I wonder if a bow saw to cut by hand 3-4" off the ground is he way?

The picture isn't very good but the stump is already detached from the ground but still attached to the fence. I've tried a bow saw, but it was no good.

55 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Drill a hole in the center with a spade bit and then drill holes roughly 8 inches (20 cm) to 10 inches (25 cm) deep in the top of the stump. Fill the holes with potassium nitrate and then pour hot water into the holes to dissolve the powder. Build a teepee of wood around the stump and set it on fire. 🤷‍♂️

I don't want to burn the fence