Wanted. Festool insulation saw.

Surfiejim

i used/am using blades like MR10 above in a Dewalt jigsaw, only the Festool versions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Festool-Jigsaw-Blade-155-204345/dp/B07M6PKLCS

Ive been cutting PIR for around 3 months now on and off and these blades have helped significantly when compared to a normal hand saw. Minimal dust, smooth cut. What i did was grind one of the blades down so its just longer than 50mm for when i was cutting my 50mm stuff as it stops the wobble of the blade in free air underneath the PIR. Cutting 120mm with them is a challenge but still nicer than with my hardpoint saw as it doesnt produce the insulation balls/waste, its just tricky to keep it in a straight line on such a flexible blade but manageable. Any time ive had to use the hardpoint saw, say for example a long angled cut that the jigsaw couldnt manage, i sand off the PIR with a block of 60grit and it smooths out nice, makes it a lot easier when installing overhead as there is no crap falling in your eyes.
Still sharp enough after a few thousand cuts, was a good purchase.

Edited by Super_Paulie

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

You want to cut insulation?

Get a teenager. Give it loads of PPE. Go on holiday yourself. Come back when the teenager has stopped coughing.

would have loved to have done something like that, but im not sure i could trust anyone else to cut this stuff as accurately as id want it, christ it was hard enough doing the quality control on myself. Id imagine if i let my builders do it it would have been lashed in wonky as ya like.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Super_Paulie said:

would have loved to have done something like that, but im not sure i could trust anyone else to cut this stuff as accurately as id want it, christ it was hard enough doing the quality control on myself. Id imagine if i let my builders do it it would have been lashed in wonky as ya like.

On recommendation from @nod I’m cutting mine with a circular saw, it does create a lot of dust so extraction is a must, but you get lovely square accurate cuts. I bought a Makita HS0600 which will go through 100mm, it was a lot cheaper than the Festool insulation saw and gives better cuts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

what blade do you use in your circular saw when cutting the stuff? 

Just the blade it came with, I think it’s a 24t rip blade.

like I said you will need a dust extractor or a vacuum attached.

I clamp an 8ft straight edge to the sheet to use as a guide. It works really well and is very accurate I have no gaps between insulation and rafter.

It is a big job as I’m doing a double layer, 100mm and 75mm  

15 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

On recommendation from @nod I’m cutting mine with a circular saw, it does create a lot of dust so extraction is a must .....

We took his advice too.

We found that in addition to extraction (industrial hoover) we needed to take the table saw outside and work with our backs to the wind. Being back-to-the-wind was not always possible : and that was enough to start both of us coughing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2023 at 19:31, Chanmenie said:

On recommendation from @nod I’m cutting mine with a circular saw, it does create a lot of dust so extraction is a must, but you get lovely square accurate cuts. I bought a Makita HS0600 which will go through 100mm, it was a lot cheaper than the Festool insulation saw and gives better cuts.

Will it cut 100mm using the rail or are you just using a straight edge when cutting?

i used my evolution circular saw with the multipurpose blades as my table saw is only a DIY jobbie so hasn't the width capacity. the circular saw only cut about half the depth, but this gives a good guide for a handsaw so it wont cut on the piss. i found my bacho prizecut saw worked the best. i usually use it for upvc stuff. 

On 09/10/2023 at 22:48, Eric said:

Will it cut 100mm using the rail or are you just using a straight edge when cutting?

I just use a straight edge as I don’t have a rail and not sure the HS0600 will work with a rail. I have an 8ft plasterers feather edge I use for a straight edge 

The saw will cut 101mm so goes right through in 1 pass 

I’ve fitted about 80 lengths so far and am getting a perfect tight fit