Lightwell floor

Pocster

Finally ( after around 7 years ) got to deal with this .

The Lightwell is outside the below ground construction .

I need to put a ‘floor’ in here . Needs to be able to take my weight as the light in there is bound to fail one day .

The ground is rough . Also ( hard to tell ) the 1st 150mm is pir insulation .

I did think about a shallow concrete pour over it - but not sure that would be strong enough ( max depth is 40mm before I finish with tile ).

My concerns are strength and water ingress ( don’t really want to direct it towards the build ) .

Any suggestions welcome !IMG_8558.thumb.jpeg.2aaff5d6e1e2dcd8c79e3a583612df46.jpeg

21 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Very snazzy. Any scope for digging it out a little to get the required concrete depth? You'll probably want to leave a gap on the edge opposite the door/window and put a slight slope on whatever you put down to channel water away from the building

Digging it out is a maybe . I seem to remember whilst it looks like rough ground ontop it’s actually a big chunk of poured concrete …. 
I’ll clean it up tomorrow so we can see what’s there 

31 minutes ago, Conor said:

If it were me, I'd put in a mix of black and white beach / river pebbles. On top of something rigid to protect the PIR.

Yeah I like that . What rigid thing on the pir though ? To deal with moisture and my weight …

Just now, Andehh said:

What's the plan for drainage?

There is no plan ! . It seems to manage ok now . But I don’t want to cause an issue …. . Decorative chippings as suggested by @Conor might be the way to go . Perhaps I don’t need a solid base underneath ? . If I need to get in there just put a board from the window ledge across bridging the pir ???? 

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Could have been covered with some walk on glazing.

Wasn't there a bit floating about on here that would have fitted perfectly.

You can (expletive deleted) yourself with a goats (expletive deleted) up your shitty mofo ass 

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

You can (expletive deleted) yourself with a goats (expletive deleted) up your shitty mofo ass 

Yes, saw that happening as I drove past your place 4 hours ago, thankfully the speed limit was raised up to 60 MPH today, no one wanted to see your goat and mofo.

17 hours ago, Pocster said:

Yeah I like that . What rigid thing on the pir though ? To deal with moisture and my weight …

cement board? don't know if that's suitable but thought i'd throw it out there?

Edited by Thorfun
late to the party with the walk-on glazing joke

17 hours ago, Pocster said:

There is no plan ! . It seems to manage ok now . But I don’t want to cause an issue …. . Decorative chippings as suggested by @Conor might be the way to go . Perhaps I don’t need a solid base underneath ? . If I need to get in there just put a board from the window ledge across bridging the pir ???? 

I'd use an offcut of basement wall capillary board - the dimpled plastic stuff that you put up against a tanked wall to prevent damage. I'm sure somebody on here will have a square metre sitting around somewhere. It will stop damage to the PIR and also direct water away.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...