My next project - The Pantry

ProDave

15 hours ago, ProDave said:

Unfortunately the bottom one was supplied wrong, it should be a little deeper.  They are re making that one.

How much would they give you off the price fir accepting it? (And shortening the battens 🤷‍♂️).

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

How much would they give you off the price fir accepting it? (And shortening the battens 🤷‍♂️).

That was never discussed as an option, they instantly said they would supply a replacement.

There has been no mention of returning the wrong one.  If that turns out to be the case, then when we make our posh shed, it just might have a bar made with the spare shelf 

• Haha 1

That's the main shelves finished, the bottom stone one now the right size and the two wooden ones at the bottm.

And now all the shelves are in, the bifold oak door is fitted with the oak door facings both sides.

Pantry_shelves.thumb.jpg.a765901370cc9dd942de0db6daea2e27.jpg

And with the door shut

Pantry_door.thumb.jpg.9c7c7a6e80d9a46cd03e13edbb117a7e.jpg

Outside plasterboard and all the trims around the door opening to fit.  That won't happen yet until we know what shelves we are putting on the left wall, as no doubt dwangs will be needed to the frame for those before the outside gets boarded.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2023 at 12:44, ProDave said:

I think the pantry being "cool" is a forlorn hope in a well insulated house.

As I pondered how much more 2x4 I needed to create various partition walls yesterday, with the plans in front of me, my mind wandered as per normal onto all sorts of other "to be done yet" items on the build, one of which was this very point. I had either what is to be proven as a brilliant idea, or just another piece of hair-brained craziness (I think probably the latter, but anything for a laugh).

Install a screed floor with stone floor tiles in the pantry in which there is a matrix of pipes (ala UFH) through which the cold water feed for the kitchen sink and dishwasher will pass. Each time the sink or dishwasher is used, the cold water will remove some heat stored in the floor. Given the small floor size this is likely not to remove much heat so then I started thinking of running the pipes in one of the walls as well, or through concrete cast shelves 🙂 As you can tell my brain was out of control.

When we built the house, the pantry was always intended, so that corner of the kitchen and the place where the fridge sits, does not have UFH under it.

Now it is finished, the pantry does seem to remain cooler, subjectively.  But I suspect that is more a case of when we light the stove in the evening as long as the door is kept shut, the pantry does not warm up like the rest of the ground floor of the house.  I must put the min / max thermometer in there to see.

• Like 2

I've just had a simpler-to-implement and probably better idea, that I think may work.

Use a slim vertical radiator, run the cold water through that, effectively using the radiator to cool instead of heat. In my situation, I can possible also run the cold feeds for the utility and cloakroom sinks and the washing machine through this as well, increasing the amount of cold water going through the cooling radiator. Something like this:

CoolingRadiator.jpg.cc6175c96d439d919cec0f7eda5c1552.jpg

Edited by BotusBuild

I am not sure I would want my drinking water passing through (and sitting for some time in) a radiator not designed for potable water.

However, if I had planned ahead, it would have been very easy to make the cold feed to the HW tank (which is above the pantry) pass though such a radiator. Or the cold feed to the WC flush tanks.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BotusBuild said:

As you can tell my brain was out of control.

Well my first thought of building a well insulated house, over 20 years ago, I planned a larder, but outside the thermal envelope, north side of the house so no solar gain and between house and attached garage/workshop so access was without going outside to either larder or workshop. 

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am not sure I would want my drinking water passing through (and sitting for some time in) a radiator not designed for potable water.

No but if kitchen tap was excluded (like is so often done with water softeners) not only would it cool the larder but raise the water temp slightly so heating for DHW was slightly less 🤷‍♂️

ha, others beat me to it 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

a radiator not designed for potable water

Good point, so this would be better then (with signs on the cloakroom and utility sinks "not drinking water")

CoolingRadiator(2).jpg.1aad57255c8669ec3ba30a5275c47139.jpg

Edited by BotusBuild

It is compounded by the fact that with an UVC everything should go through the pressure reducing valve and all cold taps fed from that for balanced pressure.  We feed the kitchen tap directly not through that but still regard the pressure reduced water in the bathrooms as potable.

So time for a "finished" couple of pictures.  First the outside finished and with all trimmings.

Pantry_4.thumb.jpg.172ce3bc3a5d26f75fe46d27f0a80b95.jpg

The whole design idea of the slim door framing with the door opening going right to the corners worked well.

Framing a bifold door with a track across the top is a lot harder to get right than an ordinary door.  I started with the door track fixed direct to the 3 by 2 framing, i.e. not a finished surface.  I then fixed 12mm Oak trimmings either side of the door track to give the finished surface to the top of the door frame, effectively making the track recessed into the door liner.  Otherwise just fitting the door track to the finished surface of a normal door liner would have looked horrible.

The slim moulded Oak profiles to finish off the edges worked well as conventional architrave would not work with this door right to the corner idea.

Then there was the shelving for the inside of the short wall.  I was looking for some shallow shelving for tins, jars etc.  We ended up with this.

pantry_5.thumb.jpg.c524b38d7d9c2769bcc9537331c047a0.jpg

This is shelving units quite cheap from Temu.  They do them as solid flat shelves or baskets.  The flat shelf ones work best being exactly 2 tins deep and 4 tins wide each.

2 more are on order so when they arrive, this will be re jigged to give virtually floor to ceiling shelving with the baskets at the bottom and the solid shelving ones higher up.

• Like 3