Aluminium Gates

Conor

We need gates as our entrance is it's in the middle of a blind bend and we've two wee lads with as much sense as a cat in a lightning storm.

We've not had full quotes yet but been advised to be paying £5k+ for something locally made. Looking for something quite simple and contemporary. Are these types of aluminium gates the real deal or flimsy things we'd be replacing in 5 years time? Two year warranty isn't exactly reassuring.

E.g. https://www.casanoov.co.uk/electric-sliding-gate-pack-4m-halti-400c160-tanker-c600

One I’ve just made and fitted, ignore the wires hanging around the motor and the old/existing gate immediately behind as it’s work in progress. Fabricated steel frame, galvanised and boards are composite T&G cladding.

IMG_3881.thumb.png.3e13c67dd0b617c6739cb8f02e94c596.png

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

A DIY box section steel frame with timber slats was the original choice, but with a three year old and a 4month old in the house there just isn't the time. 

Just not sure how sturdy a 1.2mm thick aluminium slatted panel gate will be?

We could get something bespoke made out of galvanised steel from Lithuania for about £2.5k. But a good 6-8week waiting time.

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

From the look of the floor under the gate I guess the drive is not finished yet 🤣

Press the play button and you'll see it's not!

Tbh the video was taken with a temporary supply. I'm only just getting the permanent supply sorted. Even that's "temporary"..."for now"..."my for now"...

• Like 1

People near me have electric gates and I found them ridiculously expensive. They also break a lot.

Instead I put in a cattle grid, with a bit of fencing either side. Cost £2k all in, including the digging. 

it keeps the dog in and other dogs out. The kids can cross the cattle grid but it slows them down considerably and they won’t be wee and daft for long. 

IMG_9518.thumb.jpeg.0a8fc78b9a8aa94ec1cbd95bde3aebe2.jpeg