Confused by Staircase Prices

MortarThePoint

If I cost up my staircase in parts, it works out as about £1600. I have just had a quote from the same company that supplies the parts and its £4500. I know there is work in the cutting and assembly, but it doesn't feel like £3000 worth. Without the CNC machines, it feels like it would take an experienced joiner 1-2 days to cut everything and then perhaps similar to assemble to the same state that you receive a staircase in. That means you're looking at perhaps £2400 compared to the £4500. Mass production should make the staircase manufacturer cheaper.

What am I missing?

10 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

If I cost up my staircase in parts, it works out as about £1600. I have just had a quote from the same company that supplies the parts and its £4500. I know there is work in the cutting and assembly, but it doesn't feel like £3000 worth. Without the CNC machines, it feels like it would take an experienced joiner 1-2 days to cut everything and then perhaps similar to assemble to the same state that you receive a staircase in. That means you're looking at perhaps £2400 compared to the £4500. Mass production should make the staircase manufacturer cheaper.

What am I missing?

Your not missing anything 

A friend of mine has a joinery shop 

and made our oak stairs in four days 

He said it was the first one he had done for a while As the companies that just make stairs have all the jigs set up and would make them in a fraction of the time 

Not just building but everywhere is short staffed or has employees that don’t want to work So simply load the price on every job 

I put our treatment plant in low on our first and added a neck extension Just a square of plastic with a lip for the lid 

£200 5 minute job to fit 5 years on 

Same again 300 mil extension needed 

£750 Oil based products have gone up Cost of living etc 

Asked a mate who has a fabrication shop 

£200 if plenty 

most places are doing it 

3 hours ago, nod said:

Your not missing anything 

A friend of mine has a joinery shop 

and made our oak stairs in four days 

He said it was the first one he had done for a while As the companies that just make stairs have all the jigs set up and would make them in a fraction of the time 

Not just building but everywhere is short staffed or has employees that don’t want to work So simply load the price on every job 

I put our treatment plant in low on our first and added a neck extension Just a square of plastic with a lip for the lid 

£200 5 minute job to fit 5 years on 

Same again 300 mil extension needed 

£750 Oil based products have gone up Cost of living etc 

Asked a mate who has a fabrication shop 

£200 if plenty 

most places are doing it 

It's the beginning of the end for a business when it expects it's customers to bear the price of its poor management. A well trodden path sadly.

11 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I want to do the whole thing myself and have the satisfaction, but the newel to stringer m&t joint is intimidating.

Well I initially felt the same as I love woodwork and had some machinery, but, with all the other work on the build I was involved with i got the satisfaction of assembling the “kit” and ended up with a lovely looking oak staircase without the hassle and longer time frame.

IMG_0854.jpeg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Well I initially felt the same as I love woodwork and had some machinery, but, with all the other work on the build I was involved with i got the satisfaction of assembling the “kit” and ended up with a lovely looking oak staircase without the hassle and longer time frame.

IMG_0854.jpeg

I'm interested in how the right hand stringer is mated to the skirting board at the top. Do you have a close up of that?

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

I'm interested in how the right hand stringer is mated to the skirting board at the top. Do you have a close up of that?

Unfortunately not and don’t live there anymore. I built the half landing myself, got stair box to supply matching oak for the floor, normal skirting on the half landing. Hope that helps.

Morning all, it’s Sunday so a slow start. Now, it was over 4 years ago so my memory might not be spot on, however to the best of my (failing) memory this is how I did it. On the drawing below what’s in red is what was supplied by stair box and that in black what I did. Basically I made the half landing of 6x2 concrete bolted to three walls and hung across the front, stair box supplied enough t+g matching oak flooring that I laid on these joists. The stair leans on the landing by both stringers and the stub nose top step aligns with the oak flooring i laid. I concrete bolted the stringer to the wall one side and I screwed through the 6x2 into the stringers. The skirting, matching that throughout the house was laid up to the edge of the stringer. I hope this makes sense 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Morning all, it’s Sunday so a slow start. Now, it was over 4 years ago so my memory might not be spot on, however to the best of my (failing) memory this is how I did it. On the drawing below what’s in red is what was supplied by stair box and that in black what I did. Basically I made the half landing of 6x2 concrete bolted to three walls and hung across the front, stair box supplied enough t+g matching oak flooring that I laid on these joists. The stair leans on the landing by both stringers and the stub nose top step aligns with the oak flooring i laid. I concrete bolted the stringer to the wall one side and I screwed through the 6x2 into the stringers. The skirting, matching that throughout the house was laid up to the edge of the stringer. I hope this makes sense 🤷‍♂️

The picture hasn't uploaded for some reason

2 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

did you toenail it through the landing's front 6x2?

Yes, the wall bolt was doing the majority of the work, it was Inline with the other stringer as no wall plate in the way.

Edited by joe90