Integrated/ flush solar panels on a metal standing seam roof

WisteriaMews

We're hoping to soon submit for planning on a new Passive House in a conservation area. We suspect we'll have an easier ride through planning if we show integrated/ flush solar panels on the roof.

Integrated panels on tile roofs are pretty common (we have them on our current roof) but we can only find one example (attached image) of integrated panels on a metal standing seam roof which is what we are going for.

Has anyone integrated panels on a standing seam roof? I'm hoping for an indication of whether it is doable/ isn't cost prohibitive before stating we can do it in planning.

backwell eco homes askew architects 02.jpg

13 minutes ago, PNAmble said:

We saw these guys at a show last year https://www.bradclad.com/solar/ we were considering them but changed our roof design.   

Thank you. We've looked at these (effectively) stick on panels and ruled them out due to a combination of low efficiency, short warranty, price and difficulty in replacing if needed.

We'd like to go for standard size panels which are integrated into the roof but it doesn't seem very common!

I researched this and there isn’t anything as far as I could find. The best I came up with was some low profile clamps. After our standing seam roof was fitted I decided not to fit panels on the roof for three reasons. Firstly it’s a beautiful looking thing to my eyes and PV panels would have ruined the look of it. It requires the roof being penetrated and while there are products especially for metal roofs I didn’t want the roof penetrated. I couldn’t see how they’d be fitted without the roof being scratched dinged or damaged in some way. In the end I’ve gone for ground mounted panels. 

There is a fourth reason and that’s fire risk. It’s a tiny risk but friends of ours lost their 6 month old self-build to a PV fire caused by faulty cabling. 

The panels would have covered the whole of the roof on the left. 

74599DF7-E43A-4697-B15C-A27FD584817F.thumb.jpeg.c220a108d78742bc613e178fb4195204.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WisteriaMews said:

Do you have any details of the integrated system you used that you could share?

I'll have a look. Wasn't anything complicated - bog standard GSE integrated panels with both installers having a chat on flashing details. 

2 hours ago, eandg said:

I'll have a look. Wasn't anything complicated - bog standard GSE integrated panels with both installers having a chat on flashing details. 

Good to know GSE integrated panels can be made to work with standing seam. None of the technical details I've found so far mention metals roofs but I'll take another look.

1 hour ago, BadgerBadger said:

Have a chat with Viridian? Their roof integrated flashing kits are basically formed metal trims that slot into their panels.

Thanks. Their website only mentions slate & tile roofs. As you suggest a call if probably to see if their system can work with metals roofs.

Just to jump in here, we are also looking to install panels into GSE frames on standing seam.

Our architect has done this before but the panels were not as recessed as I think they could be:

image.png.5f9195badcec7b3f404333181d80b526.png

I reckon the end result could be better with a larger batten under the ply under the standing seam and then a smaller batten under the GSE panels to sink them lower.  Just an idea of course 🤔

The S-5 clamps look to be the best alternative because you can omit the rail and install the panels closer to the seams.  But then the panels must be installed in landscape mode.

If fitting GSE panels then savings in ply and zinc should be possible.

@WisteriaMews Please update here with your findings.  Any photos post them please.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We're still in planning so it will be a while before I have any concrete updates, but will post back when I do 

On 13/09/2023 at 14:00, Mr Blobby said:

Just to jump in here, we are also looking to install panels into GSE frames on standing seam.

Our architect has done this before but the panels were not as recessed as I think they could be:

image.png.5f9195badcec7b3f404333181d80b526.png

I reckon the end result could be better with a larger batten under the ply under the standing seam and then a smaller batten under the GSE panels to sink them lower.  Just an idea of course 🤔

The S-5 clamps look to be the best alternative because you can omit the rail and install the panels closer to the seams.  But then the panels must be installed in landscape mode.

If fitting GSE panels then savings in ply and zinc should be possible.

@WisteriaMews Please update here with your findings.  Any photos post them please.

• Thanks 1