Angle Grinder - Wattage, Button/Trigger, and Recommendations?

Oxbow16

Being at work and unable to do anything practical, I've been reading a little more about angle grinders....  

The Makita manual says that the maximum disc thickness is 6.4mm.  

While the Parkside says 3mm!!!  

Is that a "we can't condone using a thicker disc" type maximum?  Or are they saying a thicker disc physically wouldn't be compatible/won't fit?  Does anyone have a 5" Makita or a Parkside they could check this on?  Potentially scuppering my idea of using a thicker disc....

Ta  

4 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

The Makita manual says that the maximum disc thickness is 6.4mm.  

While the Parkside says 3mm!!!  

Those  are for the fibrous cutting disks.  Down to the length of the shaft

Shall pop into shed and get my selection out.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Those  are for the fibrous cutting disks.  Down to the length of the shaft

I'm not sure what you mean tbh.  In the manuals it just says maximum thickness.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Shall pop into shed and get my selection out.

That's very kind of you.  You've been above and beyond with your help.  Thanks a million. 

Thank you so very much for that.

In terms of the manuals, they don't say.  

The Makita manual just says "Max. wheel thickness" and specifis 6.4mm for all models covered by the manual. 

The Parkside says "Max. Thickness - 3mm Cutting Disc.  6mm Roughing disc". 

So presumably a 6mm physically fits the Parkside.  

As for an 8mm, I'm not sure if it would fit either of them?

Edited by Oxbow16

There are ways around the disk fitting, but they involve having a selection of collets and sometimes washers.

Thankfully having more angle grinders than in healthy, I can always get things to fit.

Just get the Makita, you will be fine with it.

It will all make sense when you bolt the disk down.

9 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Try flipping the locking nut - that can usually solve it if there's still sufficient thread to secure the nut in place.

I know that, but one is not meant to.

The right types of fittings are meant to be used.

I did have the diamond disk come off my little battery one, but that was because I only did it up finger tight. Soon sorted that with the spanners.

54 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I know that, but one is not meant to.

The right types of fittings are meant to be used

It is perfectly fine for thin cutting discs as the shaft flange supports sufficient (if not the whole) depth of the hole. It is only thicker discs - grinding discs in particular - that benefit from the flange on the nut. 

That video is scary, but I think it's fair to say he had it coming!  

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

Try flipping the locking nut

That's what both manuals say to do for thicker discs.  For the Parkside thy say anything above 3.2mm, while the Makita says anything above 4mm.  

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

I rate their corded angle grinder, mine has seen a lot of action now including the job you mention. 

That's good to hear.  Do you know/remember what the thickest disc you've used in it is?  

If you - or anyone else - has a Parkside and is able to measure the spindle to see what the thickest disc you can safely get on there would be, that would be a big help.  

Thanks for all the replies and input, and especially @SteamyTea for the videos :)

Someone mentioned this morning that in their experience discs usually cut wider than their nominal width, especially if after making the initial slot you go over it again several times.  So that's good to hear.  An 8-10mm chase would be ideal, so I'll do some practice cuts first using a 6.4mm disc and see what actual width I end up with. If its wider as suggested, then I'm good to go. But I'll get an 8mm disc too in case I need the extra.

Regarding fitting on the spindle.... I think I was a bit dumb yesterday. Looking at the mortar raking discs again, while they are 6.4/8mm on the outside at the diamond segments, the inner part of the discs is thinner. So that should be fine...  Missed that completely yesterday! Although still curious as to why they specify the low 3mm maximum in the Parkside manual.  Think I'll ignore it though

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha - yes, apologies.  I've been busy getting stuck in and fitting work, life and rain around the job.  So far so good thanks and all limbs and peripherals intact.  The cut didn't come out great, but not sure how much that was to do with me or the wall itself; which is prone to falling apart a bit at the best of times, and so suffered a bit with the angle grinder.  

On that subject, I posted another thread for guidance on where to go from here.  And in that post you can see my (un?)handy work to date....

Thanks for remembering me and for your interest.    

• Like 1

A little off topic from my original questions, but does anyone know what the thickest diamond disc would be for 9"/230mm angle grinder?   I've not found anything thicker than 2.5mm so far.   

At sensible prices, the thickest I've found for all sizes are:

- 4 1/2" 115mm = 8mm thick
- 5" / 125mm = 6.4mm
- 9" / 230mm = 2.5mm

Cheers

36 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

A little off topic from my original questions, but does anyone know what the thickest diamond disc would be for 9"/230mm angle grinder?   I've not found anything thicker than 2.5mm so far.   

At sensible prices, the thickest I've found for all sizes are:

- 4 1/2" 115mm = 8mm thick
- 5" / 125mm = 6.4mm
- 9" / 230mm = 2.5mm

Cheers

A larger diameter thicker blade would be horrendous to use, the rim weight would act like a big gyroscope and the blade clamp wouldn’t be able to hold onto the disc when you released the trigger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markc said:

A larger diameter thicker blade would be horrendous to use, the rim weight would act like a big gyroscope and the blade clamp wouldn’t be able to hold onto the disc when you released the trigger. 

OK, fair enough.  Perhaps that explains why you can't find/buy them.  

Thanks for the heads up and for explaining.  

Edited by Oxbow16
  • Like 1