Final floor plan

Not a design criticism, but if you have the HW tank under the stairs, and you are having an unvented tank, you WILL need a drain for the D2 discharge, so you will need to provision a drain under the stairs.  That will need thinking about and planning at floor slab laying time.  

Just pointing out as it may not be immediately obvious you will need a drain and will be a bitch to add later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

cool, if you were using brick many of the windows didnt work brick so could be tweaked now to avoid cuts and ££.

+1, I had my bricklayer lay to whole of half bricks then ordered the windows to fit the opening (looks much better than cut bricks).

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

i think double doors into main rooms - lounge, diner, master bed etc where the size allows looks great, pretty much all the £££££ houses have them! Not a hugely expensive upgrade either.

again +1, I did this in a former house and it looked great and lots of comments on it.

@joe90 and @Dave Jones You two are causing trouble. I don't have room for double doors into the master bedroom, or the family room downstairs. I could stick a double going into the lounge, but that would squif my T.V position. I do intend having double entrance doors, and double glazed doors into the kitchen area. The idea is that you will get some view into the garden when you enter the house, through the kitchen window. I'm thinking about having the kitchen window as a bi-fold window. The idea is that it would act like a bar/ serving hatch when opened, and you were sitting on the patio having a beer. It would also give a nice view of the garden, without bars etc. 

I previously did a house for a client. Double doors into a lobby, with a second set of doors into the master bedroom. The idea was that you got a bit of advance notice if a small child arrived while you were playing Doctors and Nurses. 

I think i will ditch the bi-folds in the master, and just revert to a pair of windows like the other rooms. I just can't see them being used. French windows would do the same job in that room. Your thoughts ?

• Haha 1

in fact thinking about it id be inclined to put the kitchen in the front of the house and have a glass slider the length of the back wall where the sinks currently are. make the lounge at front the dining room then have a massive lounge at the back open to  the rear garden via the slider. 

I used to run a small, bespoke kitchen company for 20 odd years. I totally agree. The kitchen badly needs to be sexed up. I will be attending to that. Women buy houses IMO, so a great kitchen is a must. What is shown there was just bunged in,  

@Dave Jones I did have the kitchen at the front left when i started. I am hoping that if i plan sockets etc well, the dining table, and the family area could be swapped around. I think the lounge is to big for a dining room. I think that if there is a disconnect, people just don't use them. I also think that a second, quiet sitting tv area is important. It's a decent size at about 4.5 x 4.5m  The kitchen at the moment is an area that i know needs some serious work, but i do intend dealing with that. The other thing is that i did not like the disconnect between the kitchen, and utility. Because i am rural, but within 10min drive to Two London underground stations, the chances are it will be Professional London workers who i will end up selling the place to. The utility will contain larders for food storage so needs to be close to the kitchen. The sad truth is that young professionals just don't cook. They do, but not like the traditional stay at home housewife from 40 years ago. They just want the kitchen to look great, so their friends say "OOOOHHHHH nice.  there is also a separate annex for live in home help/Gym/Guests/home office/teenage hang out, so i am hoping i have got most things covered.  

• 2 weeks later...

I like a lot about this layout. I'd be tempted to push the main hall wider and also allow yourself a generous 1000mm staircase,losing the bullnose stair that interrupts the hall flow a bit.

I'd consider making more room on the landing by pushing the wall with the master's ensuite back ~750. That does away with the awkward doorway corridor into the master bedroom and gives more space for say, a console table and better people flow on the landing. These are spaces you pass through a lot.

You could think about entering the master bedroom via the dressing room - landing door into the dressing room and then double doors from dressing room so you enter the bedroom looking out towards the bifolds / french doors with a juliet balcony.

Bifolds are shown as 4+0, you might find 3+1 with a traffic door more practical.

I like the lounge/kitchen swap idea to sit looking out to the rear, it'll probably enhance the view through from front to back as you enter the house - lower furniture, no sink & taps.