Foundations quote £50,000!!!

Clairey73

Hey folks I have received a quote for a raft foundation. its roughly 120sqm but 50,000 seems ridiculous. I am getting other quotes in but this is from the oak frame company who include a price with their quote.

Anyone find that similar price wise?

The other option is to wirk with the foundations that we have but they are only 600mm (but solid)

Anyone working with current foundations find that it was a lot cheaper that way?

Cheers for listening

Agree with @nod. At 120sq m it's not much bigger than my build. I had quotes for around 7k plus vat for an insulated raft add concrete and rebar and your well under 20k.

Put your drawings out and get some quotes.

• Like 1

No it doesn’t need a raft so I will get a good quote to reinforce what is there. We are knocking down the house and replacing the. Whole thing (Same outline but with a  3.5x6m extension that is lower in the ground so there are 2 x steps down into it from the kitchen) 

1 hour ago, Clairey73 said:

No it doesn’t need a raft so I will get a good quote to reinforce what is there. We are knocking down the house and replacing the. Whole thing (Same outline but with a  3.5x6m extension that is lower in the ground so there are 2 x steps down into it from the kitchen) 

What does your structural engineer say you need? 

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

Only need an engineered foundation if BCO/Warranty demand one.

Or for a complete answer, if you live in Scotland, where you need a full structural engineering certificate prior to Warrant issue.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

even for a garage that needs regs ? must have more SE's than brickies.

Thread is talking about a house, but if it requires planning, it needs a structural certificate I believe.

Scottish say they want independence, but everything in Scotland tends to be different already, planning rules, building regs, laws, education, health, police, tax rates, fire service

11 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Thread is talking about a house, but if it requires planning, it needs a structural certificate I believe.

Scottish say they want independence, but everything in Scotland tends to be different already, planning rules, building regs, laws, education, health, police, tax rates, fire service

keep all that hassle north of hadrians !

Our BC only wants trench founds on good soil of 500, much deeper for the clay of course, but even taking that into account we are doing 87m * average of 800 deep and it's 18k, so you are being ripped off.

Sounds like the oak frame company don't want to do it, maybe they are not experts and want someone to blame of the frame doesn't fit and so are pushing you to get someone else.

• Like 1