Access Ramp - keeping it simple?

catrionag

Just finished mine last week - slabs on full bed of concrete ballast laid on thick layer of wacked type 1.  Ramp slope is approx 10 degrees, I believe the permitted range is 7-15 degs.  There's about a 5mm gap between the slabs & door cill to allow for drainage although the oak porch canopy keeps it virtually dry in any case.  The slab path is 900mm wide & extends for 8m along the front elevation, so long enough to park parallel & get out of the car straight on to the path - final driveway finish will be 20mm stone chippings, i.e. not wheelchair compatible.

Apart from the air tightness test this should be the final element before BCO completion sign off - probably a common situation for us self builders.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ff6c773e0b730c89566f5ec21169cb.jpeg

It's grey area as the house may not adjoin a public highway. As long as your planning is M1 (default) then the regs only require a level/ramped/stepped approach.

• LEVEL APPROACH
    Provide a level approach to the principal entrance door no steeper than 1:20 and at least 900mm wide, with cross falls no greater than 1:40. Approach surface material to be firm, non-slip and capable of supporting the weight of a wheelchair and its user (loose material such as gravel and shingle would not be suitable).

6 hours ago, shuff27 said:

Just finished mine last week - slabs on full bed of concrete ballast laid on thick layer of wacked type 1.  Ramp slope is approx 10 degrees, I believe the permitted range is 7-15 degs.  There's about a 5mm gap between the slabs & door cill to allow for drainage although the oak porch canopy keeps it virtually dry in any case.  The slab path is 900mm wide & extends for 8m along the front elevation, so long enough to park parallel & get out of the car straight on to the path - final driveway finish will be 20mm stone chippings, i.e. not wheelchair compatible.

Apart from the air tightness test this should be the final element before BCO completion sign off - probably a common situation for us self builders.

7 -15 degs seems rather steep...? 1 in 20 is less than 3 deg.

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

It's grey area as the house may not adjoin a public highway. As long as your planning is M1 (default) then the regs only require a level/ramped/stepped approach.

• LEVEL APPROACH
    Provide a level approach to the principal entrance door no steeper than 1:20 and at least 900mm wide, with cross falls no greater than 1:40. Approach surface material to be firm, non-slip and capable of supporting the weight of a wheelchair and its user (loose material such as gravel and shingle would not be suitable).

@Dave Jones. So if you join onto say a private road you don't have to bother ? However, if like me you join onto a public highway (Country lane, no pavement) I have to provide wheelchair access from the highway ?

9 hours ago, shuff27 said:

looks good but easier to just put a cavity tray in during the build lifting the whole DPC 225 higher, then the whole house can be level threshold with no ramps anywhere.

10 hours ago, shuff27 said:

I am afraid the ramp to the left looks like it may not comply.  It seems to rise at about 150mm over about 1200mm, so about 1 in 8.

Don't just do it to keep the BCO contended. A month after our sign off a cloes family member unexpectedly ended up in a wheelchair and it all became relevant. 

We'd happily followed the regs, and even made all bar one threshold level access, but there were a few additional things we then did to improve accessibility. 

• Like 1