Loxone switch vs alternatives

Hi,

I am still debating which switch to choose. 

my thoughts:

- Loxone Pure CO2 in bedrooms and Standard Pure in all other locations. Downside is that I would end up spending around £5k on switches alone

- Loxone Pure. Forget CO2. Still nearly £5k…

- Pure Co2 in key areas, but everything else would be standard tree switch in black. All in for less than £3k, but aren’t they ugly…

- as above but replace Tree switches with retractive where feasible. Just over £2k for switches, but a complete mix of different solutions 

- Faradite - good looking, still £3k for switches with nanos, but missing a black glossy finish 

any opinions please?

thanks

bart

the basic Touch switches got past the SWMBO test and so we've gone for one of those in each room so i can use the temperature sensor on them and all other switches in the rooms will be normal retractive switches. just not chosen what those will be yet!

Wow: "Made of high-quality, satin-finish real glass" !!!

I quite like the idea of the sensors and monitoring but I'm hoping to find a solution at a fraction of the cost. We stayed in a place  recently with fancy light switches and lots of buttons. I'm a luddite, but I just found them annoying.

Every switch in our (Loxone powered) house is a simple spring loaded switch. Two-way for blinds, one way for lights and other things.

Works perfectly well. The main issue for me is that the return spring on the Definity Click switches we have is quite aggressive, to the point where it can be hard to click (and particularly to double-click) quietly.

• Like 1

What about something like this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/90MM-size-12-24V-DC-dry_1600322834351.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_image.3be1382bHSdj09

A lot of dry contacts and ability to specify what particular buttons might / should refer to, which could be interesting and make for an easy all in one solution.

Or even this for RS485 interface:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-4-Inch-Smart-Hotel-Multi_1600589507298.html?spm=a2700.details.0.0.30d5754ev1Pdnt

Anyone tried something like these?

Edited by BartW

7 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I bet they look pretty when are set to operate 2 blinds, and 4 light circuits all off one single switch plate?

• Haha 1

Have triple version to operate 3 light circuits and a remote to operate 6 blinds - no need to go to the light switch. A double version operates our lounge main lights and side lights - all very simple, easy to replace, who cares if MK stops trading, plenty of replacements freely available always will be. If Loxone stops trading or supporting your multiple thousand investment goes with it.

None of these comments are being very helpful. He’s already decided he’s putting in Loxone home automation. You wanted HA but decided against it. This isn’t a question about whether to do it or not. It’s a question about how to control it once the decision has been made to install it. 

First thing to consider is to reduce the total number of switches. I had far too many to start with.  You then buy the dearer switches where they are in visible circulating parts of the house. The cheaper touch switches in the other rooms where you want to control multiple devices but are less used. Retractive switches elsewhere. The fact they are different matters less if they aren’t beside each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

None of these comments are being very helpful. He’s already decided he’s putting in Loxone home automation. You wanted HA but decided against it. This isn’t a question about whether to do it or not. It’s a question about how to control it once the decision has been made to install it. 

First thing to consider is to reduce the total number of switches. I had far too many to start with.  You then buy the dearer switches where they are in visible circulating parts of the house. The cheaper touch switches in the other rooms where you want to control multiple devices but are less used. Retractive switches elsewhere. The fact they are different matters less if they aren’t beside each other. 

thank you!

that’s one sensible answer that has been seriously considered. 

would they look odd if I mixed them in the same room?

does faradite pose a slightly better value for money option than standard pure?

And how usefule are the temp / humidity / co2 sensors in bedrooms?

I was hoping to have one co2 switch per room to help trigger mvhr. Or should I not bother?

31 minutes ago, BartW said:

thank you!

that’s one sensible answer that has been seriously considered. 

would they look odd if I mixed them in the same room?

does faradite pose a slightly better value for money option than standard pure?

And how usefule are the temp / humidity / co2 sensors in bedrooms?

I was hoping to have one co2 switch per room to help trigger mvhr. Or should I not bother?

I'm not bothering with COswitches. I'm putting my trust in the MVHR unit to do it's job. if I was to splash the cash on controllers I would consider the Touch Flex. but then I wonder if it would be possible to get the KNX extension and use existing Cat6a cables to run KNX switches as some of them are very nice indeed!

tbh, I don't care if they look odd in the same room. in our bedrooms we'll have the single touch switch by the entrance and simple retro switches next to each side of the bed to turn lights off and open blinds if required. ultimately, though, I'm hoping to configure our Loxone system so I don't need to worry about using the switches. PIRs will detect walking in to the room. Time of Day and weather will determine auto opening/closing of blinds etc. so I wouldn't worry about them looking different.

I guess, in theory, you could start with the basic ones and then upgrade switches as and when money is available to do so! that's something I might consider in the future. but for now it's about getting in and saving money so will make do with the cheap and cheerful Touch tree switches.

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I'm not bothering with COswitches. I'm putting my trust in the MVHR unit to do it's job. if I was to splash the cash on controllers I would consider the Touch Flex. but then I wonder if it would be possible to get the KNX extension and use existing Cat6a cables to run KNX switches as some of them are very nice indeed!

tbh, I don't care if they look odd in the same room. in our bedrooms we'll have the single touch switch by the entrance and simple retro switches next to each side of the bed to turn lights off and open blinds if required. ultimately, though, I'm hoping to configure our Loxone system so I don't need to worry about using the switches. PIRs will detect walking in to the room. Time of Day and weather will determine auto opening/closing of blinds etc. so I wouldn't worry about them looking different.

I guess, in theory, you could start with the basic ones and then upgrade switches as and when money is available to do so! that's something I might consider in the future. but for now it's about getting in and saving money so will make do with the cheap and cheerful Touch tree switches.

Thanks, my only issue is that if I don’t do it now, I will never get around to changing them.

Flex switches are cool, but turn out to be pricey when you consider pattern runs and their cost to set up the print. 

the Alibaba equivalents seem attractive option and fairly straightforward whilst giving dry contacts and looking “okay”. Then there is a mini computer option gia rs485 but as you said, will ever use that…

What seems like years ago I came across this link https://www.retrotouch.co.uk/pulse-and-retractive-switches/crystal-pg-retractivepulse-light-switch-2-gang-white.html

it was probably on here somewhere. They look nice and are relatively inexpensive and state they work with Loxone. These will most likely be our “other” switches.