Mortar bees

Leave them be, they are unlikely to do any structural damage. I had them in a previous property for 13 years without any issues. Masonry Bees are solitary and do not gather in large numbers although a few will choose the same patch of wall which suits them best.

• Like 4

I had them erode a whole 1.5sqm patch of a wall. And I don’t want it to happen with the rest of the wall. It if was only one or two holes, I wouldn’t be worried. But after I come back to the wall, there is always two or three more holes per area as I have two different patches. 

Edited by agamemnon

Killing the Bees that are there wont stop them coming you need to encourage them to go elsewhere. Either make life a bit easier for them IE get a Bee brick ( or even a wall) or much tougher, IE see what the effect of washing the wall with waterproofing solution is or a weak mixture of peppermint oil and water - works for spiders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

easy solution is too squirt wasp powder in holes

Can we still get DDT.

Side benefit is you won't get malaria.

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

weak mixture of peppermint oil and water

Always find it odd that what we can smell may discourage what we don't want.

I very really see suggestions that smearing human excrement around foot paths will discourage dogs.

Different fauna have very different senses to us.

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

loss of millions of birds during the 1960s and 1970s

Silent Spring was based on it, even though the science that Rachael Carson based the book on was rubbished several years before.

Strange how some things stick.

Not saying that DDT is a good thing, but environmentally agriculture is the worse thing, except for mass starvation.

I don’t want to use a waterproof solution. As my mortar/bricks will retain moisture and had previous issues with that, which are solved now. I had to do 4:1:1 mix for the repointing of sand, hydrated lime and cement. Wanting the mortar to be breathable. Will go down the route of peppermint oil spray.