Why didn't you do it like this [...] ? Grrrrrrr.

It's interesting - you virtually never hear that question on BH (zero results on a BH search) . There are many variants of the same question - and I'm sure we've heard many of them.

But my God I'm sick of people asking that question  : the conversation usually runs something like this [random example]

" I see you aren't using a nailer to fix you cladding: Hell of a lot of work screwing all those (apologies 'them') screws in innit".

or

"What, yer ducting the foul drain through the house and out under the floor ... why dintcha jus' purrit straight out the  'ouse and down 'n side?"

or (this is a good one)

"You aint sanding the (plastered)  walls before painting - be 'ell of a mess if ya dunt"

I've realised that my answers vary by the degree of irritation I feel - and probably by how tired I feel

Pleasant :  " Thats an interesting thing to to say - tell me what you mean.... " 

An attempt at humour [on the cladding job]:  "Here's the screwdriver, and there's a loada screws: just follow the chalk-line - two per plank, please"

Annoyed: "Because I'm not you "

Really annoyed " Wanna a job - cos if you do, you'll do the job as I want it done"

P!ss off please  "  You the expert then? "

And - equally tart - I'll get a cheery (or sneery) " Well, good luck with that then " in return.

Serves me right: I should learn to keep my mouth shut. Leave them wondering what I think. Choose your battles, says Debbie. Right as ever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Dunno about sanding the plaster yet as not got there. 

I did some work for a mate including plastering which was (IMO) good, not too polished so paint would adhere and no ripples at all, returned the next weekend to him saying “I have sanded all the plaster for you,”, I wanted to say “why the feck did you do that “ but I didn’t. However  when he painted it he complained about all the scratch lines he could see so I told him he did that sanding, if he left it alone it would have been ok (we still speak 🤣).

• Like 1

Well not on my own build, but wiring a new build not far from here, I had a stand up finger wagging argument with the joiner who wanted me to route the cables his way and did not understand safe zones.  I won the argument but we never got on for the rest of the build and i ended up getting the plumber to tell me when the joiner was not there so I could go and finish off in peace.

• Like 2

I slung a geezers hammer into the bushes at the bottom of the garden. Told him that when he paid for the granite, he could leave his hammer on it.

Flung a painters radio and mobile out the first floor window. He had them sat on a £15k piece of furniture.

I have calmed down a lot since those days. I'm amazed i never got the crap kicked out of me.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

The clue might well be in the name -  BIG -Jimbo ?

Actually, i'm not, and never have been a fighter. My actions were always carried out with calmness, and no discussion. My daughter said that when i loose the plot, i come across as some sort of phycopath. As she says, people who tell you they are going to beat the living daylights out of you, hardly ever do.

• Haha 1