Blocks first, sills later

Mr Blobby

So my bricklayers like to crack on with the blockwork and put sills in later.  Like this:

image.png.cc685e8ad011c363b7c338debd62267f.png

There will be some heavy 3G windows on the sills so naturally I want them properly bedded in and perfectly horizontal without any risk of moving / twisting. 

I worry that the mortar bed above and below the sill at each end won't be properly filled if sills are slid in instead of placed down and built up.

Should I tell the brickies to build in the sills as they go, or does it not matter?

Edited by Mr Blobby

3 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

So my bricklayers like to crack on with the blockwork and put sills in later.  Like this:

image.png.cc685e8ad011c363b7c338debd62267f.png

There will be some heavy 3G windows on the sills so naturally I want them properly bedded in and perfectly horizontal without any risk of moving / twisting. 

I worry that the mortar bed above and below the sill at each end won't be properly filled if sills are slid in instead of placed down and built up.

Should I tell the brickies to build in the sills as they go, or does it not matter?

Have only ever seen it done like the picture. Might be something to do with not damaging them when building courses above. If in doubt stand close when they're installing them.

10 minutes ago, nod said:

No It’s a crap way of doing Building in as you go is much more solid 

If they don’t want to do them now They won’t want them at the end of the job

That's what I thought.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, JackofAll said:

Have only ever seen it done like the picture. Might be something to do with not damaging them when building courses above. If in doubt stand close when they're installing them.

Maybe its an Ireland thing then?  I prefer the build-in approach I think.  I'll see how shocked the brickies are when I mention it on Monday 😬

It’s good practice to not fit cast Cills until the outside skin is complete. 

They will 100% get chipped or stained with muck otherwise.

good job by your Brickie’s shows they paying attention to detail.

zero issue bedding them in level .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nod said:

Just seems like hard work to me 

51 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You always end up pushing the dpc in the cavity esp if they are big heavy cills. Then your trying to lift one side and pull it back and it just is easier to do it at the time and lift them and drop them in.

Exactly this.  I have one window opening that's 3 metres wide.  How is that sill going to be lifted without a crane, and how is it possible to slide that sideways into the opening? 

Its a recipe for a total ballacks I reckon 🧐

Edited by Mr Blobby

10 minutes ago, nod said:

There probably hoping it will not be them putting the cils in 

They're probably hoping they will get paid without putting the cills in 😆

10 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

They will 100% get chipped or stained with muck otherwise.

... the irony here is that the cills will in fact be concrete heads that will be covered by aluminium cills from the window manufacturer, so they will be covered up anyway.

Edited by Mr Blobby

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

... the irony here is that the cills will in fact be concrete heads that will be covered by aluminium cills from the window manufacturer, so they will be covered up anyway.

No reason not to fit them, then, I take it you have them on site, and the brickie's know what they are.

Surprised they left the inner blocks out as well.