Granted planning, but design is awful.

So the plot we are in the process of trying to secure has planning permission for a 4 bed property.   I personally, think the design and interior layout is pretty naff.

image.thumb.png.6472832f7caec377987a22c26a08ab14.png

There is a 1960s chalet bungalow property next door and on the other side of a pedestrian walkway is a 1970s style development.   Just wondering whether you could potentially get away with something more aesthetically pleasing on the eye and what basis the planners could refuse the revised application on?

Ideally, we'd like something a little more contemporary than what has been granted.

What else is in the same road/area? If there are other contemporary houses around would help.

See Google images for "1960s contemporary homes" and see if anything appeals. It's surprising how modern some are.

Edited by Temp

13 minutes ago, Temp said:

What else is in the same road/area? If there are other contemporary houses around would help.

See Google images for "1960s contemporary homes" and see if anything appeals.

Sadly, there is nothing that has been done recently and the properties on the main road frontage are a mixed bag of design awfulness.  

Plots are sold with planning and radically changed all the time 

We looked at a plot that was ultra modern Flat seam roofs Seddons Lots of glass It’s now been changed to slate hip roofs and bay windows 

My feeling is that the architect will have done whatever he or she thinks will get through planning with the highest probability to secure the landowner their £ prize.

That establishes the principle and a min GIA etc.

If you don't like that, you can reapply with something you do like. A quick pre-app or informal chat withe the LPA if you can arrange it with an idea of what you would to get a reading. Even better if you can do that before purchase. Once you have drawings for planning, it might take anywhere between 8 weeks and a year for the LPA to process your application.

Mate, if a customer came to me with that as a site to design you a new house I’d be kissing the ground you walked on.

They have really done you a solid there, that’s massive and ugly so you’re probably going to get something great there. I wouldn’t see any issues for you even not knowing the area to be honest. 

By looking at that circulation, you could improve your layout and get massive rooms.

I wouldn’t bother with a pre-app. Just go in with a nice contemporary design on that footprint (you could maybe move the gable to the middle if you like). Full planning, go for it.  

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

My feeling is that the architect will have done whatever he or she thinks will get through planning with the highest probability to secure the landowner their £ prize.

That establishes the principle and a min GIA etc.

If you don't like that, you can reapply with something you do like. A quick pre-app or informal chat withe the LPA if you can arrange it with an idea of what you would to get a reading. Even better if you can do that before purchase. Once you have drawings for planning, it might take anywhere between 8 weeks and a year for the LPA to process your application.

+1. if you like the plot then buy it and apply for planning for something you like. the existing planning will still remain if they refuse your new design anyway so you can either cut your loses and sell the plot with that planning or build the house as is and then flog that and move on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, flanagaj said:

Sadly, there is nothing that has been done recently and the properties on the main road frontage are a mixed bag of design awfulness.  

That should work in your favour for getting something you like through, if there’s no strict street scene to adhere to. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1