UFH screed sanding back

Lesgrandepotato

Due to a minor miscommunication.. aka I forgot to book it... the floor is being sanded back on Monday to take the top 5-10mm off ready for tiling etc. The house is fully open plan with no doors at the moment and stuff generally stacked around. Is this a relatively tidy operation or an oh shit get the house dust proofed sort of operation? We have painted walls and light fitted so I don't really want tonnes of dust everywhere. 

I leaning towards assuming the magic machine has extraction built in and it'll be fine. 

Am I a raging eejit?

Really messy. 

I've not seen floor grinders with extraction, only the small hand grinders they'll use for the edges.

The dust seems to come off electrically charged and sticks to painted walls surprisingly well. 

5-10mm grinding is a a lot. Is there not a way around it? 

On 21/08/2017 at 22:48, Roundtuit said:

Interesting. I need to get about 150 sq m done in the near future. How big a job is it? One man with a floor sander for a couple of hours, or something more complicated?

Couple of lads for a couple of hours. There were doing three jobs a day. That was 110sqm done. 

It looks like a pretty light going over, some good sized swirl marks in the surface. It's taken some thing off as we had paint all over the show. It was the screed guys who've done it. We looked at the hire of the kit at about 75quid for the machine and disk. Made no sense for my lads to do it at 125. 

That said we did have to wait until they were in the area to do it, they'd got three jobs lined up within a few miles that they did. 

If you were expecting 10mm off the top, does only having had a couple of mm off make an important difference to your floor heights? None of our external doors would have opened if our floor had ended up 7mm higher than planned!