Sub facia or not

My roof trusses should be craned on tomorrow so I’m looking ahead at the detail of soffits and fascia’s.

l’ve watched a couple of videos by Skill Builder and the Tall carpenter, both very informative videos.

The tall carpenter advocates fitting a 4x1 sub fascia then the PVC fascia, Robin Clevit just nails the PVC direct to the rafter ends.

I guess it’s just personal preference but I’d be interested in your thoughts, on the best way to go about it.

IMG_2354.thumb.jpeg.27930cd25f2dc88e05af894b651b354e.jpeg

There are two types of pvc fascia, thick and thin. The thick one can be used without wood behind, the thin one is a capping to be used over wood. The fixing method is different, thin one pinned into place for example.

I chose to have wood behind, makes it easy to install gutters as you have a good fixing point behind the fascia trim. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

By using 4*1 behind it will make it much stronger plus give you more fixing points for the fascia and when you come to do the spouting. It will also help when you come to put the ventilation strips on. 

I’ll be using the over fascia continuous vents 

7 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

There are two types of pvc fascia, thick and thin. The thick one can be used without wood behind, the thin one is a capping to be used over wood. The fixing method is different, thin one pinned into place for example.

I chose to have wood behind, makes it easy to install gutters as you have a good fixing point behind the fascia trim. 

yeah I won’t use the thin capping boards, had good quote for the Eurocel 16mm fascia.

Certainly makes sense re affixing the gutters 

35 minutes ago, Chanmenie said:

yeah I won’t use the thin capping boards, had good quote for the Eurocel 16mm fascia.

Certainly makes sense re affixing the gutters 

I've just ordered mine, I'm using the this capit board, but blocking between the rafters with 4x2.

I got a quote from Eurocell, but found an online retailer that's was around £200 cheaper with delivery to me way up North.  The boards arrived 2 days later, from Eurocell🤷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenki said:

I've just ordered mine, I'm using the this capit board, but blocking between the rafters with 4x2.

I got a quote from Eurocell, but found an online retailer that's was around £200 cheaper with delivery to me way up North.  The boards arrived 2 days later, from Eurocell🤷

Can I ask the name of the online retailer please 

3 hours ago, Declan52 said:

By using 4*1 behind it will make it much stronger plus give you more fixing points for the fascia and when you come to do the spouting. It will also help when you come to put the ventilation strips on. 

100% 

It also gives you a chance to pack out any imperfections 

I used a rough cut 4x1 Four quid for a 4.8 length 

• Like 2

when Eurocell delivered the products ordered from building plastics online they told me to get in touch with my local depot to get better prices. I've not needed anything since but will give it a go next time.

1 hour ago, Canski said:

when Eurocell delivered the products ordered from building plastics online they told me to get in touch with my local depot to get better prices. I've not needed anything since but will give it a go next time.

Yeah I went direct to local Eurocell branch and got a great price