Submitting two applications

ChrisF8

Hi all,

After going thorough pre-planning with East Herts I had very mixed feedback on a proposed knock down and rebuild for a barn and a stable block to make into one dwelling (in the green belt)

Because of this feedback (and time constraints on the sale of our house) I was thinking about submitting two planning applications but a few weeks apart.

The first one for the full site redevelopment and the second for just the redevelopment of the barn (and then we would address the stable in the future)

My thinking is that if the full development gets refused we have another application ready to be reviewed only a couple of weeks later.

We have a hard deadline of October 31 before our buyers mortgage runs out so waiting isn’t really an option.

I’m no planning expert so I’m wondering if this is frowned upon by councils or I’m running any risks here?

9 hours ago, ChrisF8 said:

My thinking is that if the full development gets refused we have another application ready to be reviewed only a couple of weeks later.

Frowned upon? It may be - informally. But there is no such thing as a formalised, official frown. Planners must make a decision based on the evidence in front of them, and in the context of local and national Planning Policy.

To an extent your suspicion is well-founded. Micropolitics matters a great deal in planning circles. But unless - say through a Subject Access Request - you discover that Planners are indeed raising an eyebrow on those grounds alone , your applications should be dealt with on their merits alone.

We are not planning experts - not even Experts by Experience. I would be more inclined to make a really careful analysis ( by that I mean an evidence-based review )  of the advice you have been given. Please therefore don't take our opinion(s) as anything more than a hint or nudge.

There's huge value in networking locally. Hard work.

Good luck

Ian

Looking from a different angle, how committed are you to this potential build? If planning is to be granted but delayed by 3 or 6 months what would be your plan?

assuming you get planning pretty quickly do you intend living on the site or moving into rented?

if you don’t get planning will you still go through with the house sale or drop the buyer?

Don’t talk to me about b####y planners, with mine which was refused several times it was suggested ( by a seasoned planning advisor)I apply fir something the council would accept which had exactly what i wanted fir the ground floor, let the builder make a start then go to appeal for my original application . It worked a treat, I won the appeal and had till the builder got to the first floor to argue over the top floor. As an aside I found the appeal process easier than applying fir planning, (I did it myself)  IMO the appeal team were far more professional than our local planners and helpful knowing I was not a professional just a member of the public.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

>>> Because of this feedback (and time constraints on the sale of our house) I was thinking about submitting two planning applications but a few weeks apart.

Actually if you submit them on the same day, there's a discount on the 2nd application. I did that, and I think it's fine.

I think there's even a little bit of 'which one do we prefer' thinking at the LPA, which usefully assumes one will get through.

• 2 weeks later...

Submitting two alternative applications is actually a recognsied thing.

Alternative developments on the same site

If different proposals for full or outline permission, or for approval of a reserved matter, are all submitted simultaneously, by or on behalf of, the same applicant, a concession is available. The fee should first be calculated separately for each alternative for which permission is sought. The total fee payable is then calculated by adding to the highest of these separate amounts half the sum of the other separate amounts. Please see paragraph 10 of Part 1 of Schedule 1 to the Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, Requests and Site Visits) (England) Regulations 2012, as amended.

Paragraph: 033 Reference ID: 22-033-20141017

Revision date: 17 10 2014