Final drain test

Barryscotland

What pressure are you trying to achieve?  Will it pump up and hold to a lower pressure?

I found my shower traps just blew the (top access) trap "bucket" out of it's socket breaking the seal, and I had to wedge a couple of bits of wood to hold them down so they would pump up to pressure.

36 minutes ago, Barryscotland said:

Does a condensate pipe need to be blanked off for drain test? I can build pressure up by constant blowing but pressure drops as soon as I stop. Hoping it’s not a shower tray problem 

Blowing?  Most shower traps only have an inch or two of water so that's about the limit of the pressure you can pump the drains to before air comes out of traps. You might not ge able to go above 25mm of water. Normally its done with a small hand squeezed rubber pump eg Screwfix parts 19536 and 62513.. 

Fill all traps. Pump up the pressure slowly until air comes out a trap and the pressure suddenly drops. Thats the limit for that branch of the system. Refill traps and the pump it up to a bit below that limit for the actual test. 

Edited by Temp

My condensate doesn’t appear to have a trap. I will need to unbox the boiler to get to the pipe to cap it as pipe is glued every where else I can get to. I took the pump of an blew so I could “feel” what was happening. I can build pressure but it drops to zero almost instantly after stop applying pressure. Traps are all full, going to unbox the boiler to get to condensate

3 minutes ago, Barryscotland said:

capped to of (using a cork) and now holding pressure so all is good 👍. Another box ticked ☑️ 

If BC are anything like here, they will want to see it.

• 5 weeks later...

So chap coming to view final drain test tomorrow, thought I better recheck tonight an it’s only building up to 20mm  an holding for 5 minutes whereas few weeks ago it was up to 80 an dropped to 40 over 5 minutes. It is staying at 20 so is holding pressure. Is any positive pressure a pass or is there a figure? No idea what’s changed in last few weeks, made sure traps where full etc.

It should pump up to and hold at the level of "seal" in the smallest trap.  Any attempt to go above that just blows bubbles through the trap.  I think 80mm was my smallest trap.

If you can get to 20 and it holds where previously you got higher, go and check ALL the traps in the house are full, by pouring some water down them.  If one has not been used for a while some of the water in it may have evaporated.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

check ALL the traps in the house are full,

I'd run water for a bit too , in case it helps to seal any dry joints

Check your test kit. we used the Horobin kit and all was ok, about 10 tests, and then it wasn't holding pressure.

I can't remember what the problem was. One of the pipe junctions i think.  Or it might have been the pump, and the clip next to it not engaging properly.

We bought another kit at twice the price and it was fine.

So for tomorrow, check the pipes, maybe seal with some gue.  Then act out shock and amazement when it doesn't quite hold.

I wonder if these £30 kits are often used more than  5 times, then lost in the back of a van.

Also clean the drain plug, and flex the seal,  and put more gue onto that.

If it is one of the 'included' plastic ones costing about £4, they are not going to be as tough as the brass and rubber ones.

When you look at it there are a lot of joints in the kit, probably more than in the pipe run.

good luck. The BCO will probably be ok with any pressure holding.