ASHP DIY something I need to know…

Hi all,

as titled. 

installing AeroTherm Plus. 

daft question but what order and where do I install the:

- antifreeze valves. Outside last point before the heat pump ?

- y strainer just behind antifreeze in flow?

- flush fill valve in flow presumably inside?

- flow and return stopcocks presumably inside?

i tried researching but there is no diagram anywhere. Clearly, if you know you know…

pic for reference:

IMG_3044.thumb.jpeg.8e344779c95fbd2cccd0175afc89842b.jpeg

also on the pressure reducer do I just blank two tappings out of 5?

As far as know anti freeze valve are basically anywhere in the outside pipe work. I would place close to the ASHP though.

I know the advantages of anti freeze valves, but I chose to just install 20% antifreeze. Worst case for me was, I was away, anti freeze valve opens, heating system depressurised, wife can't, repressurise heating system, so heating remains off until I get home. Me in dog house.

Strainer should really be inside not outside. But accessible for cleaning. Same for fill valves.

I have my isolation valves direct to heat pump. But depending on pipe length outside, they could be immediately inside house.

Remember you need an expansion vessel.

What's the pressure reducer for?

55 minutes ago, BartW said:

Hi all,

as titled. 

installing AeroTherm Plus. 

daft question but what order and where do I install the:

- antifreeze valves. Outside last point before the heat pump ?

- y strainer just behind antifreeze in flow?

- flush fill valve in flow presumably inside?

- flow and return stopcocks presumably inside?

i tried researching but there is no diagram anywhere. Clearly, if you know you know…

pic for reference:

IMG_3044.thumb.jpeg.8e344779c95fbd2cccd0175afc89842b.jpeg

also on the pressure reducer do I just blank two tappings out of 5?

• Like 2

One anti-freeze valve, on the lowest point, by the heat pump itself. Sell the other one on eBay. 

Ditch the fill/flush valve, they are chronically restrictive. I bought one then promptly put it in the scrap pile.

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Remember you need an expansion vessel.

What's the pressure reducer for?

I am using Unitower and that has an expansion vessel on the intake of cold water to the system. I think there is also a built-in expansion vessel for the central heating circuit.

The pressure reducer is for the water inlet, and looks like the below (and I could not work out why so many outlets):

image.thumb.jpeg.b78032d9273d22b3796c0b86698ef584.jpeg

27 minutes ago, HughF said:

Ditch the fill/flush valve, they are chronically restrictive. I bought one then promptly put it in the scrap pile.

How do you then fill it?

6 minutes ago, BartW said:

already bought it...)

If it restricts the flow don't use it. Look at the specs of the valve vs the flow/pressure and take a decision. There is more to this job than just connecting pipes/valves without leaks.

2 minutes ago, DanDee said:

If it restricts the flow don't use it. Look at the specs of the valve vs the flow/pressure and take a decision. There is more to this job than just connecting pipes/valves without leaks.

runs on 28mm diameter which is full bore. I think I will triple check .

I have what looks to be same filling valve, circulation pump doesn't seem to have any issues flowing it's duty rate of 1m3/h through 9 UFH loops, and 12m underground before getting to the house, using 28mm pipe. (No other pumps in the UFH system).

1 hour ago, BartW said:

yes, and yes I will no doubt need someone to sign it off.

If you can’t find a plumber to sign off your work (not many will) then you’re left with either the ignore option, or the ‘pay the local bc to inspect’ option.

9 hours ago, HughF said:

If you can’t find a plumber to sign off your work (not many will) then you’re left with either the ignore option, or the ‘pay the local bc to inspect’ option.

Good idea. 

i might know a person or two, but otherwise ignore would be my choice. Unless they insist to see it as part of the sign-off. 

32 minutes ago, BartW said:

Good idea. 

i might know a person or two, but otherwise ignore would be my choice. Unless they insist to see it as part of the sign-off. 

Ignore would be my choice too….

If you ever come to sell it, just lie.

52 minutes ago, HughF said:

Ignore would be my choice too….

If you ever come to sell it, just lie.

Our UVC is going in a bedroom so I'm looking at getting it signed off by a plumber friend. If it was only me in the house i would be ignoring too...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eniacs said:

Our UVC is going in a bedroom so I'm looking at getting it signed off by a plumber friend. If it was only me in the house i would be ignoring too...

It’s all a load of tosh really, all you’ve got to do is follow the g3 regs. If you can read and understand instructions, you’re good to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HughF said:

It’s all a load of tosh really, all you’ve got to do is follow the g3 regs. If you can read and understand instructions, you’re good to go.

Definitely. Just another tax on DIY. 

7 hours ago, HughF said:

... and in other posts people comment on how _professional installers_ manage to get things wrongly connected.  Just saying! 

BTW I would probably agree it's a load of tosh except for the possible risk to whoever inhabits your house next.  There is _perhaps_ a public interest argument here.  

2 hours ago, JamesPa said:

... and in other posts people comment on how _professional installers_ manage to get things wrongly connected.  Just saying! 

BTW I would probably agree it's a load of tosh except for the possible risk to whoever inhabits your house next.  There is _perhaps_ a public interest argument here.  

Well that’s obviously because some ‘professional installers’ can’t read 🤣

I’ve seen that system boiler install that’s over in the other thread, there’s no way that person was qualified. If they were, then there’s serious issues that need to be addressed in the training sector.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JamesPa said:

BTW I would probably agree it's a load of tosh …..

In a previous house I had new windows installed, and being new to self build, got a local FENSA registered company to make and install them. The guys who turned up had never install windows in a house with internally recessed stone mullions and I had to show them how it was done. I turned out neither were building trades people, one had trained as a butcher and the other had only ever been in sales. So much for “experts”!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

In a previous house I had new windows installed, and being new to self build, got a local FENSA registered company to make and install them. The guys who turned up had never install windows in a house with internally recessed stone mullions and I had to show them how it was done. I turned out neither were building trades people, one had trained as a butcher and the other had only ever been in sales. So much for “experts”!

Unfortunately the construction industry, it appears, is full of chancers and has only a small proportion of experts.

Experts are a good and very necessary thing, chancers less so.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2023 at 07:10, Triassic said:

Ah, the great uPVC window scam….. When the fitters turned up to fit my wife’s windows 10yrs ago, she knew one of them from town - total coke head 🤣 Things haven’t changed…

Fensa really isn’t fit for purpose.