Is it worth power trowelling a garage floor

joe90

On 29/06/2023 at 12:47, saveasteading said:

Have you decided where any surplus and the washout slops are going?  As a last resort, leave it in the barrow.

Oh yes, I have added approx 10% (as I can’t afford to be short) and have a space for it, and washout 👍

• Like 1

Oh yes, long timber across shuttering (which will be used fir tamping). Fairly flat.

36 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

0.4m3 is quite a lot of spare. But yes better too much than too little.

It only comes in half meter load sizes and I can afford to be short.

The sub base was a car park for 10 years and very compact so minimal movement there I guess, sand compressed a fair bit. I am tempted to tread the rebar mesh in after tamping as it being down on chairs (bricks) makes getting on it difficult 🤔. I do have paths that need repairing so might dig  them out ready, I can always mix concrete afterwards if none left over.

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

My solution to excess concrete was to dump it down the sides of a underground house 😁

Most of us don’t have one of those telly tubby designs 🤣

• Haha 1

Already for concrete being delivered in the morning. I roped my daughters boyfriend and his mate to shovel it for me whilst I “project manage “ (make the tea) and trowel it off with an “easy trowel” on a long pole.

image.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

Already for concrete being delivered in the morning

Can you set your iPad up to do a timelaspe, or if your memory card is large enough, a long video (they can be speeded up easily enough)?

https://www.howtogeek.com/226487/how-to-take-time-lapse-videos-on-iphone-or-ipad/

Just make sure it is on charge all night tonight.

No time to arrange time lapse photo because concrete arrived an hour early 🤯, still down and tamped, just waiting for the bleed water to evaporate and get on it with an easy float.

IMG_0191.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes large tarp ready, finish is not quite as good as I would have liked or did before with a power float but it’s only a garage, mistake I did make was bringing the dpc up and over the shuttering so unable to get my edging trowel around the edge. I have a concrete grinder disc fir my angle grinder so can always tidy it after it’s set hard. Old chap needs a lie down now 🥱

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

After uncovering and removing the shuttering, the answer to this OP is.  YES.  I should have power floated the slab. It’s very flat but the surface is not what I wanted (yes I can be OCD ) it’s only a garage and I will be painting  it I guess but hey it’s too late now. Thanks everyone for their input. 🤷‍♂️