Bco dog

Pocster

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I agree ; it’s not a ‘nice ‘ arrangement. I probably years ago forgot and designed the door to be more suitable/ normal . As I mention I’ll get over this issue !! 

My bathroom door opens outwards, designed that way to future proof wheelchair access

8 hours ago, pocster said:

So bco came out today after 6 yrs ( as I was advised then to call them once finished )

I recorded the conversation.

oh dear here we go …

Bathroom door should open outwards not into the bathroom . It’s in the plans I was told . It isn’t 

Structural steels need fire proofing . It’s in the plans . It isn’t 

Failing that suspended tile ceilings need 30 minute fire resistance. Spoke to supplier on this and they can’t give that . Apparently 30 mins is achieved via the frame AND tiles - and in their test conditions . I assume a copy of their fire rating test will be sufficient for bco to go away 

Wall water membrane system . Want to see design for this . There isn’t one of course as it’s diy .

Timber frame spec !! ( even though it was up 6 yrs ago )

What annoys me is apparently these things were noted on my file 6 yrs ago but bco never told me until now .

Some other “ I must find things “ aswell …

I suspect it’s a box ticking exercise , but annoys me .

At the end I asked him if it should be demolished. My sarcasm was lost on him ….

Why did you wait so long to get BC out to do the final inspection?

Bathroom door: There is a requirement for an accessible wc door to open out. Do you have a separate wc or is the accessible wc in the bathroom? Where I am as long as the door does not impede on the clear space it’s fine. Where a clear space is in a bathroom the door can open into the bathroom but if the wc is quite small and the door would impede the clear space if opened in the door should open out. In your case I wouldn’t be too worried about opening the door into the bathroom. In reality opening the door out can cause more problems - someone walking past could get a smack in the face!

FR to steelwork: The requirement for FR of structural steelwork is a standard requirement - even if it’s not on the plan. Standard plasterboard won’t achieve 1/2HRFR. Intumescent paint is the easiest option.

Water membrane system: Cannot really comment on the water membrane system other than to suggest that you send him a sketch of what you did with an accompanying sketch from the supplier/manufacturer.

Timber frame specification: If you can’t get the TF company to give you a structural design certificate invite your local friendly SE around for a cup of tea and ask him to indemnify the structure.

If BC noted these things six years ago they really should have told you at the time they were inspected. Could they have told a contractor on your site?

I can understand your frustration but to get your completion certificate you will unfortunately have to comply with the request from the BCO.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, ETC said:

Why did you wait so long to get BC out to do the final inspection?

Bathroom door: There is a requirement for an accessible wc door to open out. Do you have a separate wc or is the accessible wc in the bathroom? Where I am as long as the door does not impede on the clear space it’s fine. Where a clear space is in a bathroom the door can open into the bathroom but if the wc is quite small and the door would impede the clear space if opened in the door should open out. In your case I wouldn’t be too worried about opening the door into the bathroom. In reality opening the door out can cause more problems - someone walking past could get a smack in the face!

FR to steelwork: The requirement for FR of structural steelwork is a standard requirement - even if it’s not on the plan. Standard plasterboard won’t achieve 1/2HRFR. Intumescent paint is the easiest option.

Water membrane system: Cannot really comment on the water membrane system other than to suggest that you send him a sketch of what you did with an accompanying sketch from the supplier/manufacturer.

Timber frame specification: If you can’t get the TF company to give you a structural design certificate invite your local friendly SE around for a cup of tea and ask him to indemnify the structure.

If BC noted these things six years ago they really should have told you at the time they were inspected. Could they have told a contractor on your site?

I can understand your frustration but to get your completion certificate you will unfortunately have to comply with the request from the BCO.

Good luck.

It’s not the final inspection. I asked when to come out next , 6 yrs ago ; they said when finished .  The only reason they’re out now I because I submitted a stair design for approval as recommended by the stair supplier . I woke the zombie !!! .Contractor on my site ? - that’s been me for the last decade 🤣👍

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

Just now, pocster said:

It’s not the final inspection. I asked when to come out next , 6 yrs ago ; they said when finished . Contractor on my site ? - that’s been me for the last decade 🤣👍

Petrocelli?

14 hours ago, pocster said:

Photo attached of typical steel .

The ceiling tile company can only supply a fire rating based on a ‘test’ from the manufacturer of a test setup they’ve constructed to get a fire rating ! . I’ve sent bco the 75 page report 🫤

image.jpg

@saveasteading I did 

The cheapest solution is often to fill the web with non flammable material. This could be rockwool or even brick/block.

For anyone interested I did a 1500m2 warehouse once with a working area  beneath. 

None of the columns or beams were fire protected because I had deliberately specified very chunky sections that could withstand fire without additional protection.

It was worth about £30,000  to us. It was out of the bco comfort zone of course.

24 minutes ago, pocster said:

I did 

I see it now. The beam but not the ceiling.

Yeah I would prb build a plasterboard encasement round that, simply because rhe bco will be comfortable with what he recognises. Pink isn't usually necessary but pleases the bco.

For economy I would stuff the web with rockwool so it is not exposed to fire and do some sums to show that is all it needs as the steel is substantial.  But I'm not offering to do that for you, sorry.

Suspended ceilings have been fire tested. Look in the Armstrong literature.

The man who did the tests told me that all the constructions performed beyond the test results sought, but that is not published as it sells less stuff.

Told you they were workers .

Sent in around 130 pages of shite / spec .

”missing “ thing was a soil sample report . Which I did 10 yrs ago and sent to them . Guess I send it again + the following 

Please call us out again on completion where we will need paperwork/commissioning certification for: electrical installation, heating/HW tank, As built SAP and EPC, air test.

Happy days ! 😁