Primrose Electric awning repair - anyone done it?

Radian

My mum's electric awning stopped working and it's pretty important to keep her in the shade (93 years old and having big issues with dehydration). The whole thing is around 1K to replace but the company sell a replacement motor (which just makes a buzzing sound when powered now). I fitted the awning around six years ago but I'm nowhere near as fit now so wondering if the motor could e swapped without getting the whole thing down off the wall. Anyone got any ideas?

AWN12D__main_image_f999.jpg.bb7fde54a58f3c12a229cb724654ee31.jpg

IMG_20230614_093135512_HDR.thumb.jpg.069f452200acedd3a8315c0d3183ce1d.jpg

9 hours ago, Radian said:

.... I'm nowhere near as fit now so wondering if the motor could e swapped without getting the whole thing down off the wall. Anyone got any ideas?....

I suffer the same generic problem: uncomfortable jobs - once easy -  need much more preparation now - I used to be fit enough to work at awkward angles. Not any more.

Make yourself a safe working platform. It'll take longer, but be safer and there'll be less swearing.

• Thanks 1

Personally I would take it off the wall, then take the motor out, then dismantle the motor assembly.  I would bet in there you will find a failed start capacitor, hence it hums but does not spin.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

would bet in there you will find a failed start capacitor, hence it hums but does not spin.

Was my first thought.

May want to take it down and lube everything up anyway.

Wish my mum  who is a similar age, could get out in the sun. 

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Wish my mum  who is a similar age, could get out in the sun. 

9 minutes ago, Temp said:

Make sure she drinks plenty of water. Doctor warned us old people don't notice they are getting dehydrated.

Both me and my mum rarely ever feel thirsty. Just a genetic thing I guess. I bear this in mind and drink at regular intervals. Mum just doesn't get it and nobody can seem to explain it to her. She equates the need to drink extra to feeling hot and complains that she's cold almost all the time - irrespective of the actual temperature. A few weeks ago paramedics attended and ended up taking her to A&E as she was suffering from various odd symptoms. The hospital concluded it was due to dehydration. You'd think this would make it easier for us to get the message through to her of the need to drink - but no. She even cited the fact that she couldn't get them to give her a cup of tea while waiting in the hospital. I know they were super busy and also I think they deliberately hold off until they know what's going on. But no, this is used as ammunition to shoot down our position. We've been trying to find something she would like to drink more of... but the problem with that is that she is also diabetic so that cuts out lots of soft drinks. We've been filling her fridge with sparkling water which is the only kind she will touch (tap water is apparently just not good enough).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radian said:

We've been trying to find something she would like to drink more of

Mine got a taste for those expensive millennium smoothies and fruit drinks.

(expletive deleted)ing vimto squash for me I am now so poor. Get a better g bottle of it for 2 quid, can last a month, but it was only 32⁰C tonight in the kitchen.

48 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

but it was only 32⁰C tonight in the kitchen

I trust you were 'comfortable'

During working hours the temperature in all indoor workplaces must be reasonable.

There’s no law for minimum or maximum working temperatures, eg when it’s too cold or too hot to work.

However, guidance suggests a minimum of 16ºC or 13ºC if employees are doing physical work.

There’s no guidance for a maximum temperature limit.

Employers must stick to health and safety at work law, including:

• keeping the temperature at a comfortable level
  • providing clean and fresh air

Employees should talk to their employer if the workplace temperature isn’t comfortable.