New Phone Line from Pole - Prep

Hi All

My phoneline was knocked off my old bungalow by a delivery, I coiled it up and left it next the pole...however this coil has now disappeared.

I have no phone/broadband contract etc at the minute and won't have for a while, my plan was to install a weatherproof box on the corner of the house where i want it be attached again, I was planning on running a cat 6 to where i want the main phone port/router to be located from the outdoor box. Would BT be happy connection on to my external junction box?

I want to do this so I can get my house first fixed and then boarded etc...does this sound OK? I have never dealt with BT for anything like this before

On 06/06/2023 at 09:48, richo106 said:

Hi All

My phoneline was knocked off my old bungalow by a delivery, I coiled it up and left it next the pole...however this coil has now disappeared.

I have no phone/broadband contract etc at the minute and won't have for a while, my plan was to install a weatherproof box on the corner of the house where i want it be attached again, I was planning on running a cat 6 to where i want the main phone port/router to be located from the outdoor box. Would BT be happy connection on to my external junction box?

I want to do this so I can get my house first fixed and then boarded etc...does this sound OK? I have never dealt with BT for anything like this before

Are you doing a knock down and rebuild or building a new house in back garden or ? Eg Will the new house have same address? If its going to be a new address you may want to get that onto sorted first via the council so it's on all the databases. Sometimes service providers cannot create an order on their computer if they can't identify the address.

Getting phone connections sorted can be pretty frustrating. I think in theory for a new house you can go direct to Openreach but some have tried that only to be referred to a service provider like BT. Openreach provide a developer portal where you can register new developments as small as one house but sometimes they say they can't do anything without an order from a service provider.

6 hours ago, Temp said:

Are you doing a knock down and rebuild or building a new house in back garden or ? Eg Will the new house have same address? If its going to be a new address you may want to get that onto sorted first via the council so it's on all the databases. Sometimes service providers cannot create an order on their computer if they can't identify the address.

Getting phone connections sorted can be pretty frustrating. I think in theory for a new house you can go direct to Openreach but some have tried that only to be referred to a service provider like BT. Openreach provide a developer portal where you can register new developments as small as one house but sometimes they say they can't do anything without an order from a service provider.

Yeh pretty much knock down and rebuild so will have the same address 

If it's a new build then you're now required to install gigabit internet and gigabit ready infrastructure, under building regs part R.

Aiui Openreach now have some sort of process for requesting a connection plan, so you can get BC design approval.

Edit: more info here

https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/fibre-for-developers/registering-your-site

Edited by joth

47 minutes ago, joth said:

If it's a new build then you're now required to install gigabit internet and gigabit ready infrastructure, under building regs part R.

Aiui Openreach now have some sort of process for requesting a connection plan, so you can get BC design approval.

Edit: more info here

https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/fibre-for-developers/registering-your-site

Hi Joth

It is not a new build, it is a bungalow conversion

Many Thanks

4 hours ago, richo106 said:

Hi Joth

It is not a new build, it is a bungalow conversion

Many Thanks

Ah ok, your previous post said "Yeh pretty much knock down and rebuild" so I had just assumed you'd be doing a full demo to achieve the zero-% VAT on everything.

FWIW on my renovation, the BT (open reach) underground cable got destroyed, I told OR and they didn't care. 2 years later when I wanted connection I signed up a contract with www.aa.net.uk (renowned for proactive approach to hassling OR, but you can use any supplier, plus.net, talk talk, sky, etc) and they dealt with having OR come around and pull a new piece of copper through to the underground duct I had pre-installed for them.

(Caveat: it took them about 6 months to do this, during which time I gave up, cancelled contract and went back to relying solely on Virgin Media. OR eventually came and did the work in the street to get new copper through to our boundary about a week after I cancelled the contract 🤦‍♂️. If they ever get around to putting FTTP down our street I'll defo attempt this dance again, my pre installed duct Gigabit-ready Physical Infrastructure™️ will be waiting for them)

Edited by joth

Just read the BT Openworld document and seems that Gigabit fibre is only required from December 26. I can't believe they can charge up to £2000 for a single dwelling.

I hope it isn't a requirement now as the infrastructure doesn't exist where we are building, I think the best they can offer is FTTC and it then runs on poles to premises. To get FTTP will likely mean digging the road for around 400 metres.

Should I put some trunking from front of the premises to the property so there is no need to dig the driveway up in future.

The latest Part R - i.e gigabit ready infrastructure does not apply to works started before 26th December 2022 or for works for which an application was made before that date with the proviso that works start on site within 12 months of that application.