Concrete infill vertically

Shuttered this . Went pretty well - but some gaps where concrete didn’t slump enough . Did ‘chop’ it with a trowel .

Best way to fill these and not slump and fall out ?

Just a stiff concrete mix ???

1B5A5F80-EADF-4271-B7A1-151B00D077DE.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TonyT said:

SBR then mortar 

good tool is the multi tool if you don’t have a concrete poker, use a worn place and vibrate the timber…

Should I keep going back to it if it slumps and ‘ push’ it back in ? . Or is the objective to do it once and leave it ?

Bit like pointing and rendering, get the mix right and it will stay. Don’t try to smooth it off wet, or it will slump. Scrape back when it’s dried after a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Brushed sbr on the exposed gaps . Chucked a bit in the cement mix , also added some fibres .

Looks fine - no chance of slumping . Doesn’t need to be perfect . This area is where the staircase apron will fit and associated balustrade 

DD9ACC66-6B5D-4145-AB61-7C1389807BF6.jpeg

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

Nice to see the completed job, esp when a success.

I'm assuming the fibres helped to stop it slumping.

I once used the wrong bag for filling a hole in a wall. Self levelling screed wasn't great for this, but worked eventually with sand added and when it gave up on slumping.

Is it worth filling the web space with timber so that the stairs can be fixed in wherever they touch? Also an attachment point for any boxing or trimming.

18 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Is it worth filling the web space with timber so that the stairs can be fixed in wherever they touch? Also an attachment point for any boxing or trimming.

Yeah . I’ll fill the web space for me . Gripfill timbers in ( done that before - rock solid ) . Bit of tile backer board on face - then a few tiles . At the moment I don’t want to do it because ( in another thread ) I want to make sure stair company fix directly to the steel .