Encase Virgin Cable

Hi,

At the side of our garage there is a Virgin cable that goes under the garage / driveway and into the main house to supply services. This was done by the previous owners when they did the garage, drive and extension. However, as you can see the cables are slightly exposed and liable either to vandalism (unlikely where we live) or being cut by a strimmer etc.

I'm after advice on what to do about this. I guess one option is to install slab next to the council slabs to effectively bury it, cutting into the slab and / or concrete but interested in other ideas. I did call out Virgin once to resolve and as you can imagine after some grunting they said nothing they could do.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0516.jpg

If it was mine I'd lift the lid on the cover and see the cable could be lowered. If so then cut the concrete either side of the cable with disc in angle grinder. Chisel out a channel in the concrere. Split a plastic pipe lengthwise to get it over the cable. Concrete it into the slot cut.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 3

100% top quality virgin installation. Nothing you can do unless you fully excavate the cable back to the public side and install a duct with draw cord at a suitable depth. That's what we did and it still took multiple visits for them the actually put the cable through. (Issue was they had to dig down between their chamber and our pit - they don't like getting their hands dirty.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steveoelliott said:

Hi,

At the side of our garage there is a Virgin cable that goes under the garage / driveway and into the main house to supply services. This was done by the previous owners when they did the garage, drive and extension. However, as you can see the cables are slightly exposed and liable either to vandalism (unlikely where we live) or being cut by a strimmer etc.

I'm after advice on what to do about this. I guess one option is to install slab next to the council slabs to effectively bury it, cutting into the slab and / or concrete but interested in other ideas. I did call out Virgin once to resolve and as you can imagine after some grunting they said nothing they could do.

Thanks in advance.

I would dig out and expose, there may be an F-Connector under that draw pit that you can unscrew (might need a spanner), and pull the cable back to protect, then dig out, add some conduit, proper stuff would be nice but just use some uPVC 20mm conduit or flexi or something, and cover over.

I am confused as to why the draw pit is there, is that on your land or what?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, steveoelliott said:

I am probably wasting my time getting Virgin to deal with this so better doing this myself (or getting somebody to do it). The manhole part is on council land but the area to the right is my land. So digging down and encasing is an option.

So within the draw-pit (you won't get a man in there!) you can disconnect the service, pull it back, dig down and form a duct, feed it in and remake. I believe any phone cable in there will now be dead, as VM switched to phone over the Coax network, so you don't even need the little silicone filled 3M crimps to re terminate, just undo the Coax. They usually used a shotgun cable, 2 side by side black, 1 phone 1 coax. 

14 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

So within the draw-pit (you won't get a man in there!) you can disconnect the service, pull it back, dig down and form a duct, feed it in and remake. I believe any phone cable in there will now be dead, as VM switched to phone over the Coax network, so you don't even need the little silicone filled 3M crimps to re terminate, just undo the Coax. They usually used a shotgun cable, 2 side by side black, 1 phone 1 coax. 

Makes sense, thanks.